Upgrading Tacscam US-1800 Interface

mrbrownstone

Long story short, I've come into a bit of cash that I want to throw at my home studio for upgrades. I've been slowly building this over the past couple of years

Right now, I'm running a mac mini with LPX, using a Tascam US-1800 interface, ART dual tube pre-amp, and Slate plugins.

To be honest, I haven't been at this a long time, and am happy with my current setup - But I'm starting to get nervous that the Tascam interface will soon start holding me back with regards to updates as it's pretty old. I'm thinking my first upgrade will be the interface.

I need something big enough to handle at least 8-10 mics for recording live drums. I'd like to have at least 16 for tracking live off the floor.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no genius here, and am fully self taught in what I know. That US-1800 has served me very well, but I think its time upgrade.

After one evening of initial research, I'm leaning towards the Personus Quantum 26x32,but something I am noticing is that on the tascam I had 8 xlr input along with along with 4 balanced inputs on the back. I used 2x of these on the back to connect my Art MPA II preamp, so this gave me 10 XLR connections with 4 leftover line inputs (2 on the front for instruments, and 2 on the back). Non of the new interfaces I'm looking at have any line inputs on the back.

Does this mean I'd have to connect my tube preamp into 2x of the 8 XLR/ 1/4in TRS inputs, loosing 2x of my XL channels for my external amp?

I really need the 10 XLR's (can count the 2x on my MPA II) to fully cover the drum kit.

What would be your recommendation with $1000-$1500 CAD to spend? I'm totally open to going used as well. I would actually prefer to!

Edit: From further research, I'm assuming I'll need something like the octopre to expand on the XLR inputs of the interface?

Last edited:
Hi,
There are a lot of options out there giving eight built in preamps plus additional inputs over spdif (2 channel) or adat (8 or 16 channel),
but not just as many offering 8 preamps built in plus additional line level inputs.

What year is the Mac Mini? If you don't need the mini to be bang up to date then you don't need to update anything and you can put your money elsewhere. :)

Initially it looked like Tascam had discontinued support for the 1800 but then I found a few references to upcoming Mojave driver releases for their range, including the US1800.
Last update I saw was July so if nothing is forcing you forward I'd be inclined to sit still and see what Tascam come out with, if anything.

My issue with not be able to keep my computer relativity up to date is that I'm using various software pretty heavily, and am afraid the US1800 may limit my ability to update and keep up with the latest.

I mean I paid $150 for it like 5 yrs ago and it was old then and still going strong - So I'm thinking the interface may be a good spot for me to sink my money, as it would likely last me some time before needing another update.

I also belive that Apple slows down older OS on you computer if you do not up date. Maybe its all in my head, but every time a new release comes out, I notice my computer getting slower and slower until I'm forced to take a chance on the update, and hope that the Ol' Tascam will keep chugging along.

I held out on El Capatian for a long time, but just updated to Mojave a few weeks ago. I was experience an insane amount (literally ever 5mins with all no essential tracks frozen) of slow disk errors before the update, but it magically started running perfectly again just after updating... 2014 mac mini btw.

Like I said, I have a bit of cash for upgrade, and am happy with the rest of my setup. The only other thing I'm going to also pickup is a pair of matched pencil condensors, and possibly a couple more MD421's. I love the 421 all around.

Edit: Also, in doing my recent research I've seen a lot of people recommending to stray away from Tascam interfaces saying their pre's/driver support will eventually degrade causing crackling and pops (I've noticed this and just flick the interface on and off, but it is annoying). I've also been reading that they are quieter then the average interface in terms of dB level being recorded. I've seen this repeated over and over online.

I'm not really sure what to think as this is the only interface that I have any real experience with, so who knows, maybe it is quiet?

My issue with not be able to keep my computer relativity up to date is that I'm using various software pretty heavily, and am afraid the US1800 may limit my ability to update and keep up with the latest.

I mean I paid $150 for it like 5 yrs ago and it was old then and still going strong - So I'm thinking the interface may be a good spot for me to sink my money, as it would likely last me some time before needing another update.

I also belive that Apple slows down older OS on you computer if you do not up date. Maybe its all in my head, but every time a new release comes out, I notice my computer getting slower and slower until I'm forced to take a chance on the update, and hope that the Ol' Tascam will keep chugging along.

Fair enough. If you want to move you want to move. :)
I will say, though, no one's slowing down your computer.
If you've noticed a slow down there'll be some explanation for it.

I held out on El Capatian for a long time, but just updated to Mojave a few weeks ago. I was experience an insane amount (literally ever 5mins with all no essential tracks frozen) of slow disk errors before the update, but it magically started running perfectly again just after updating... 2014 mac mini btw.

This might be worrying.
More likely your hard drive is showing the early signs of failure and updating the operating system has moved a lot of files around to healthier blocks, or replaced damaged files?
I would download DriveDX (free trial) immediately and check the health of your drive.
It's a very simple app. There are lots of non-user-friendly details in there for those who want them but there's an overall summary that tells you if the drive is dead or dying.

Like I said, I have a bit of cash for upgrade, and am happy with the rest of my setup. The only other thing I'm going to also pickup is a pair of matched pencil condensors, and possibly a couple more MD421's. I love the 421 all around.

421s are hard to beat! I have an old cream coloured pair here and love them.

Hard drives are fine. I have checked them, and am running everything off of an external G-drive to help with speeds.

I've noticed the same issues with all of my apple devices. They admitted to doing it with the iPhone batteries, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn they throttle performance speeds to force updates. But I have checked my Mac over multiple times, and had it looked at. No issues with the mac. And all my software is legit and paid for - So no issues with hacking anything.

Now that I've updated, I've only seen the error when really pushing the limits of what the machine is capable of, which is totally expected.

Last edited:
There might be nothing in it but DriveDX is a great piece of software. I haven't found anything comparable, built in or third party.

I know what you're saying about the phones but that was the reverse : Slowing down older machines running latest OS.
In your case the latest OS has improved your performance which does apple no favours, in terms of getting your money.

Anyway, you came asking for interface advice.
MacOS 10.15 is right around the corner so I'd be inclined to wait until it's out and then see who issues support statements, and for what products.
I'd bet on presonus, motu, RME being fairly quick off the mark.

Anyway, you came asking for interface advice.
MacOS 10.15 is right around the corner so I'd be inclined to wait until it's out and then see who issues support statements, and for what products.
I'd bet on presonus, motu, RME being fairly quick off the mark.

I've been researching all morning, and thinking I'm going to pull the trigger in the next little bit on the quantum 26 and D8. This should give me all the coverage I need, and I've found a few pretty good deals. I'l like to swing for the D88, but that's going to be pushing the budget a little if I still want to try and get some matched condensers.

I'm thinking I'll just hold out until the D88 comes down in price a little, then pick one up and sell the D8.

The Quantum seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment.

I've been researching all morning, and thinking I'm going to pull the trigger in the next little bit on the quantum 26 and D8. This should give me all the coverage I need, and I've found a few pretty good deals. I'l like to swing for the D88, but that's going to be pushing the budget a little if I still want to try and get some matched condensers.

I'm thinking I'll just hold out until the D88 comes down in price a little, then pick one up and sell the D8.

The Quantum seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment.

Keep your tascam and use it as a converter to run extra inputs. You can use both digital and analog outs and increase your inputs that way

Keep your tascam and use it as a converter to run extra inputs. You can use both digital and analog outs and increase your inputs that way

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how would I connect the tascam to the quantum? The tascam doesn’t have any adat support.

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how would I connect the tascam to the quantum? The tascam doesn’t have any adat support.

Well if you use analog of course. I was just pointing out that the Tascam can still be used as 8 in summing pre's plus line inputs, plus as a direct box for guitar/bass and 6 balanced outs that could be put to use and SPDIF/AES if ever needed. I mean you can never have too many preamps IMHO

I've been a satisfied Tascam user for years and drivers can be an issue on Windows, but NOT for the reasons above. The Tascam drivers have always been stable, but Windows 10 annoying keeps changing mine. Been doing it for a few months now, and while you are using it, Windows drops the driver, and you have to power cycle. Then one day, it doesn't just drop the driver, on restart, it installs an different one! You can download the right one and re-install it, but a week or so later, it's gets replaced again. Every time windows says "shut down and update" I know on starting up I'll have to put the driver back. I've gone back to a presonus fire wire unit, which seems 100% stable - now over a month and no driver dropping as my system is never off.

I have been using a TASCAM US-1800 for nearly 2 years now. It has done me well but now one of the inputs has broken and I thought it time to upgrade

Back