upgrading studio setup, need help choosing pc parts

offcenter2005

I'm going with RME HDSPe RAYDAT for the interface. I run sonar X1 and need help choosing pc mobo and processor. I've been looking at i7 core 2700k and need help deciding what the best choice for CPU and mobo. Scince I am building a new tower any help on the build would be great. I also would like to build it in a rack case so mobility would be easier. Thanks in advance for any replies.

There's no real advantage getting the 2600K because the only feature over the plain 2600 is that you can overclock it (to almost 5 GHz, I might add!). Since audio applications don't generally work nicely with overclocked machines, you may save yourself some money there.

I generally go with Intel motherboards although Gigabytes are also good. A hefty power supply 500+ watts is good to have. Get a graphics card with a heat sink instead of a fan to minimize noise and get the biggest and quietest CPU fan you can find. Zalman is a good place to start.

Cheers :)

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at custom daw builders sites and they are selling overclocked mobos that require a larger cooling units. But they are really expensive. If I buy an unlocked one and a bigger heat sink I can save a lot through the major online parts stores. What would be the disadvantages of using a overclocked mobo as long as it is kept cool? Would staying Intel on Intel be the best way to go for stability and power of the system?

Asus makes excellent MB's. I've used them for years and never had a failure.

Regarding overclocking... it's highly, highly overrated. Today's i cores perform 100's of times better than overclocked dual or quad cores of the previous design. In fact, save some money and go with an i-5 core - some are less than 1/2 the price of an i-7.

In todays PC the bottle-neck in processing is the hard drive. A regular spinning hard drive, even at 7200rpm's cannot deliver data to memory as fast as the memory can accept it. If you want a truly fast PC, put your OS and program files on an SSD, and your program data on a large, 72k HHD. SSD prices are now reasonable - around $100 for a good 64gb - which is more than enough for OS and DAW programs.

Asus makes excellent MB's. I've used them for years and never had a failure.

Regarding overclocking... it's highly, highly overrated. Today's i cores perform 100's of times better than overclocked dual or quad cores of the previous design. In fact, save some money and go with an i-5 core - some are less than 1/2 the price of an i-7.

In todays PC the bottle-neck in processing is the hard drive. A regular spinning hard drive, even at 7200rpm's cannot deliver data to memory as fast as the memory can accept it. If you want a truly fast PC, put your OS and program files on an SSD, and your program data on a large, 72k HHD. SSD prices are now reasonable - around $100 for a good 64gb - which is more than enough for OS and DAW programs.
Good info thanks for the help. Depending on the project I use a lot of plugins and vsts. I was thinking of going with wd black 1t and a seagate ssd for os and programs. I think its a 128g. Is like to go with a mobo and CPU that I will not outgrow for quite a while. I haven't built a pc before and want to get something that can handle whatever I Throw at it. I can build a pretty fast pc for around a grand that would cast me 3x that amount prebuilt. What is the difference in the sandy bridge components than the stuff?

I'm running an i5 760, which is a first gen iCore CPU and works amazingly. Also, Bollocks to overclocked computers not working well. I put mine up from 2.8GHz to 3.8GHz and it only made the machine run better. I'd definitely get yourself some water cooling if you plan on OCing and make sure your radiatr is hooked up back and front with fans. You don't NEED a graphics card at all, unless you are planning on going dual screen [in which case, you just need something capable of hooking up 2 screens], or if you're gaming [in which case, a good card is recommended]. I have the GTX 460 myself, but would love a 580 at some point. MOBO is by Gigabyte, but there are a good handful of makers of great boards. It really depends what CPU you go with that would help with the mobo you get for it. Mine just happened to be best for what I needed. I find my 550w PSU to be plenty enough and with the newer CPUs and such, I would imagine they take even less power. So just aiming for around 500 watts should be fine.
Bollocks to 64GB being enough for a main drive too. Definitely go for something over 100. If you can though, 1TB drives are always handy. Just a shame solid state are so expensive. I use spinpoint F3s, which are in league with the WD Velociraptors, even though they are only 7200, compared to the WD's 10 000 spin. As long as you have separate drives for your OS/programmes and then your plugins/loops, etc. Then you should be fine. Also make sure your motherboard comes with firewire if you're going to need it. Texas Instruments built too, as most interfaces need a TI firewire port to run properly. If there are no options for ones with firewire, make sure there is a spare PCIe slot to add a TI firewire card. Again, assuming you need one and aren't using USB instead.
4GB of RAM should be enough to run anything you need, but 8GB can certainly help futureproof your machine a little longer.

Bollocks to overclocked computers not working well. I put mine up from 2.8GHz to 3.8GHz and it only made the machine run better.
Agreed. I overclockeded from 2.8 to 3.4 for some time with a q9550. Never a problem with it.

Bollocks to 64GB being enough for a main drive too. Definitely go for something over 100. If you can though, 1TB drives are always handy.

That depends what you do. My laptop and desktop both use 64gb ssd drives. I have a 1/2TB storage on the desktop and it's all fine.

Today's i cores perform 100's of times better than overclocked dual or quad cores of the previous design.
I'm not sure that this is true. I think my q9550 setup (when not overclocked) beats the 2.3 i5 that ships in imacs and stuff.
It all depends which models you're talking about.

I've read a lot about overclocking and everyone says that it is a great thing to do if needed you just have to make sure you keep it cool. They even sell overclocked mobos on adk customs site for their builds. I'm not very up to date on components but I've been researching this stuff for a while and seems for 900 to 1200 I could build a monster daw. I want to run 2 monitors but like I said for my budget is like to compile a list that works great. Any help further would be great

I've read a lot about overclocking and everyone says that it is a great thing to do if needed you just have to make sure you keep it cool. They even sell overclocked mobos on adk customs site for their builds. I'm not very up to date on components but I've been researching this stuff for a while and seems for 900 to 1200 I could build a monster daw. I want to run 2 monitors but like I said for my budget is like to compile a list that works great. Any help further would be great

In that case, get yourself even a cheapish graphics card and you should be able to hook up 2 monitors. Are there any components you feel you MUST have inside the machine, or could we help with a full list of things you could go with? Because my machine when I bought it new would have been right in your price range. Tower only though. With 2 good monitors and an SSD, you'd be looking at the higher end. =P

I find no reason whatsoever to overclock an i7 for audio. The 2600 is more than capable. No reason to add noisy fans for a push of power that is only necessary for gaming. Save yourself some money and spend it on something needed. :)

Welcome back offcenter. Truce offered from my end. :)

I find no reason whatsoever to overclock an i7 for audio. The 2600 is more than capable. No reason to add noisy fans for a push of power that is only necessary for gaming. Save yourself some money and spend it on something needed. :)

Thank you jimmy69 I consider it the past. We are all here for our love of music so I really appreciate that.

If you guys wouldn't mind ill give you a list of what I've been considering and maybe get some feedback on what I am missing and what better options I could be overlooking.

Processor: I7 2700k sandy bridge 3.4ghz (3.8ghz turbo boost) lga 1155 quad core.

RAM: g skill ripjaws x series 16g (4x4) ddr 3 or Kingston RAM

PU: corsair builders series 600w

I would like to build this in a rack unit but have no idea what to use (any suggestions)

I'm also still debating on storage. I know one ssd and a good 1t 7200 rpm storage unit. Maybe WD black.(any suggestions)

And then the motherboard. This is the hard part for me. I will be using the RME HDSPe Raydat so ill need a pcie card slot and I'm not sure about the other stuff like graphic cards and cooling. This will be a dedicated daw. No gaming no net except for driver updates.

Thanks for the help so far guys if I've missed anything let me know and give me feedback on my choices please. I just really want to do my research before emptying my pockets. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I disagree. Overclocked DAW computers require more cooling and bug out easier, IMO.

Cheers :)

You pretty much have to put some sort of fan on it no matter what. =P But a water pump certainly seems a lot less noisy. Either way, I have 6 fans plus a water pump in my machine and manage not to pick up any of the noise unless stupidly close to it.

Any input in that list I posted so far? I want fast and stable. Some projects could get into the 60 + track count then add the plugins and vsts and I'm sure ill need some power for this. I have invested someoney in software last year and my current setup can't handle it so this year I'm rebuilding the pc and doubling my ins. Waves, soundtoys and some vstis are really putting a strain on my current setup.

What is it you are running now? Actually, it really doesn't matter. With my i7 2600, with a OEM install of W7-64 bit, running 32-bit Cubase, still connected to internet by the way, I have the ability to run a fully complete mix of 60+tracks, and who the hell knows how many VST's, including 6 instances of Waves GTR3 and SS Trigger drum replacement, as well as Addictive Drums VSTi. With all this, I can still track new instruments at under 10ms latency, while monitoring through Cubase. Overclocking is not needed. 64-bit Cubase is not needed. The i7 alone, when setup properly, will get you more power than you need. If you get bottled up later, then worry about moving to 64-bit. I seriously doubt it, unless you are heavy into using virtual instruments as your only source of instrument. I know you are not, so..just go with what is already the best processor. Forget about pushing it past it's limits, as it is already surpassing what is necessary for recording audio.

Thank you jimmy69. I do some projects for other people that are pretty much only virtual instruments. And a few live instruments. My main concern is brand of RAM like Kingston vs the ripjaw and is there a major difference the i7 2600 and 2700 ? Is like to have the option to overclock if ever needed. And the rack case so I can keep things mobile . I can make a lot of money from bands recording live shows with minimal work . Latency also has played a big part in frustrating the hell out of me but I've heard that the raydat goes southbridge wich is as direct to CPU as you can get so would that mean lower latency?

Oh and I use the ssl plugins and they beat the shit out of my system. I love the waves stuff but it can really be taxing on an out of date system.

If you have the extra few bucks to get ready for future needs, then by all means, go there if you feel the need. I am just expressing my opinion, that just by building an i7 2600, will be sufficient for years. By the time you need to overclock your CPU to get more from it, there will already be a processor that blows the i7 out of the water, and so on. It seems that processing power with the i7 has reached a point now, that surpasses the basic needs for audio recording. On that note, make sure to RAID1 your OS drive, and record audio to a secondary drive. And backup that one to another regularly. Nothing worse than drive failure. Nothing......

I've decided to go with the I7 2600k sandy bridge 3.4ghz (3.8 turbo boost) processor.
Now I'm trying to decide the motherboard. I've been looking at the asus p8p67 deluxe or the evga p67 ftw.
Any suggestions? Like I said ill be using the rme hdspe raydat. So any further advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back