Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) - Got One?

keith.rogers

I'm trying to make my home setup a little more robust and less susceptible to the vagaries of power ripples, and maybe even give myself some time to do an orderly shutdown when we get the occasional outages (that come more often that you'd expect in the 21st century USA).

Some of you folks must be using one - any recommendations?

Yep. Just for the computers. I have a, well THIS. CyberPower CP685AVR

It has saved me twice in 4 years. There are bigger ones that can handle more gear, but I find all I need is battery backup while working if power goes out to the computers/monitors.

It gives you the time to save projects and files before losing shizz...

Last edited:
I've one of the APC units...don't have the model number in front of me, but it's an older model, probably at least 5-6 years old, because I know I've replaced the batts in it at least once or twice maybe...which is what I like about it, it's easy to get replacement batts, and they are meant to be replaced, not soldered in or sealed.
I only use it for my DAW computer and dual monitors.

Cyberpower 1500 here -relatively recent. Not particularly special I think, just what they had down a Frys, and this time a lot bigger than I prob need. (all that's one are things I'd need time to shut down -pc, screen and DAW..

With my CyberPower CP685AVR it registers 212 watts used with two PC's and 5 video monitors. Looks like batteries are getting old as it only shows 7 minutes of run-time after power failure now. Used to be much more.

Surge protection and voltage regulation for the price seems good to me. Though I wonder now if it is enough?

Thanks guys, now I gotta buy more shit! lol

I came away feeling I don't need -or want voltage regulation, at least not 'online ups if that's what you mean. I guess if I see my main power doing odd things like that I'm ok with shutting the heck down :>)
Kind'a feel the same way about the Furman's and the like with auto-transformers. 'Live rigs, 'gig must go on, would be different..

I have several. One in my studio/office for one computer, one monitor and a network switch. I plug the rest of my studio/office stuff into the surge protection side. UPSs have great surge protection and filtration. Don't need a furman if you have a UPS.

Another smaller UPS is for my router, cable box and another switch. This keeps my internet going in case of power outage. This is Texas, we lose power often; I have no idea why.

The last is for my wife's computer. Although hers has a dead battery, she's still getting good line protection.

.... UPSs have great surge protection and filtration. Don't need a furman if you have a UPS. ....
I've been doing a bunch of reading, and this depends on the type of UPS you have and, depending on the manufacturer, I suspect, which outlets you are using.

For instance, the CyberPower FAQ says that the AVR feature only works on the battery+surge outlets, and not the surge-only ones. And I don't think anybody's "standby" (aka "entry") UPSs will do anything to the power, since they only start to work when battery power is required.

At this point, I'm planning to have a separate line conditioner box for the audio/non-computer pieces, and just the UPS for the computer, monitor, and external disk enclosures.

I came away feeling I don't need -or want voltage regulation, at least not 'online ups if that's what you mean. I guess if I see my main power doing odd things like that I'm ok with shutting the heck down :>)
Kind'a feel the same way about the Furman's and the like with auto-transformers. 'Live rigs, 'gig must go on, would be different..

Besides the APC for the DAW+dual monitors...I'm running a complete Furman power distribution/protection setup.
Main power off/stays off relay unit, followed by an initial "sacrificial" line surge/noise suppression unit, flowed by a voltage regulation unit, followed by a balanced power unit...all capable of 20 Amps. I also have a spare relay unit and voltage regulation unit.
With all the analog gear I have, it was a worthwhile investment...maybe a bit overkill...but my studio power is super clean, regulated and protected. :)

Back