Two PCs one interface?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I have been eyeing a second PC for personal/internet while I keep this one offline for music. Although a second interface isn't out of the question I would like to avoid the expense, but it seems having one interface connected to two PCs isn't worth the aggravation as this would not actually provide easy A/B-ing.

Looks like adding an inexpensive second interface is the simplest and most workable solution. Ya think..?

double.jpg

Hey,
Yeah, I don't think that's possible. What's the goal?

Nothing complicated. I want to add a second PC and use an interface for audio, was wondering if my current interface could easily be used between them.

For about $100 bucks, you get this. I use this for my daily driver and have it plugged to my main stereo system and for a laptop if I want to remote record.

PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater

That would do nicely. I won't be recording or using instruments/mics. Just audio monitoring.

Not simultaneously, no. There'd need to be manual cable switching.

+1 on the Presonus. Small, simple, bus powered, and still decent enough.
I have a used 2i2 for the same duty.

The physical connection isn't a problem, so that Sharing Switch would do nicely. I think the problem(s) comes with switching back and forth as it would probably have it's connection broken or lose power from one PC, then require a restart of some sort as it reconnects to the second PC. Not sure exactly what might happen there, probably depends on your system setup.

Last edited:
The physical connection isn't a problem, so that Sharing Switch would do nicely. I think the problem(s) comes with switching back and forth as it would probably have it's connection broken or lose power from one PC, then require a restart of some sort as it reconnects to the second PC. Not sure exactly what might happen there, probably depends on your system setup.

Yes, for instance it will depend what happens when you plug in a USB interface. My KA6 for instance just works, no drivers run, I just go to a DAW, almost always Samplitude, and there it is. Other AIs might not be so well behaved.

I would ensure the AI is setup on each PC and if other audio devices have ever been installed, seek them out and destroy! Also go into Control Panel and disable (not 'uninstall') the On Board Sound card. Basically leave just one audio device for the PC to find at switch over.

Dave.

In a previous incarnation of my studio, I had 2 computers (1 for gaming/general use, 1 for audio/video editing) using a single audio interface. I had spare line inputs on the audio interface, so I sent the stereo output of my "other" computer into those, and used the interface's software mixer to route that signal to my main outputs. I upgraded to using a 2nd audio interface on the "other" computer, but ended up routing it the same way.

I've since ditched the 2-computer setup and just use a single hot-rod computer to do all of the things now.

In a previous incarnation of my studio, I had 2 computers (1 for gaming/general use, 1 for audio/video editing) using a single audio interface. I had spare line inputs on the audio interface, so I sent the stereo output of my "other" computer into those, and used the interface's software mixer to route that signal to my main outputs. I upgraded to using a 2nd audio interface on the "other" computer, but ended up routing it the same way.

I've since ditched the 2-computer setup and just use a single hot-rod computer to do all of the things now.
That's interesting. Right now I'm using one PC split into two Users (one non-Adm) and it's ok but I'm spending more time online these days where I use the non-Adm User to accumulate lots of documents, files, etc. which need to be stored away on the Adm User side. A second PC would certainly eliminate a lot of work there as well as offer more avenues for productivity in other areas.

That's interesting. Right now I'm using one PC split into two Users (one non-Adm) and it's ok but I'm spending more time online these days where I use the non-Adm User to accumulate lots of documents, files, etc. which need to be stored away on the Adm User side. A second PC would certainly eliminate a lot of work there as well as offer more avenues for productivity in other areas.

Not altogether sure what is being said here but where "documents and files" need to be stored it is a very good thing to get an external USB 3.0 drive. A 1TB spinner is cheap and can hold a shedload of data, especially if it is not audio/video.

Even better is a "NAS" drive that can be accessed from any computer or phone on the network even from another country.

"They" say your data is not safe unless held in three locations, one off machine and preff' in a cloud as well!

BTW at one point we had two desktops interconnected by S/PDIF both ways (no, it does not result in a feedback loop!) so we could shunt digital audio about with no loss.

Dave.

Not altogether sure what is being said here but where "documents and files" need to be stored it is a very good thing to get an external USB 3.0 drive. A 1TB spinner is cheap and can hold a shedload of data, especially if it is not audio/video...

Dave.
I've got an external SSD on my shopping list.

Back