Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Two PCs one interface?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,731
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 286 Times in 263 Posts
    Rep Power
    7968221
    Sign in to disable this ad
    In a previous incarnation of my studio, I had 2 computers (1 for gaming/general use, 1 for audio/video editing) using a single audio interface. I had spare line inputs on the audio interface, so I sent the stereo output of my "other" computer into those, and used the interface's software mixer to route that signal to my main outputs. I upgraded to using a 2nd audio interface on the "other" computer, but ended up routing it the same way.

    I've since ditched the 2-computer setup and just use a single hot-rod computer to do all of the things now.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lakeland, Fl.
    Posts
    2,012
    Thanks
    459
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts
    Rep Power
    1650097
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    In a previous incarnation of my studio, I had 2 computers (1 for gaming/general use, 1 for audio/video editing) using a single audio interface. I had spare line inputs on the audio interface, so I sent the stereo output of my "other" computer into those, and used the interface's software mixer to route that signal to my main outputs. I upgraded to using a 2nd audio interface on the "other" computer, but ended up routing it the same way.

    I've since ditched the 2-computer setup and just use a single hot-rod computer to do all of the things now.
    That's interesting. Right now I'm using one PC split into two Users (one non-Adm) and it's ok but I'm spending more time online these days where I use the non-Adm User to accumulate lots of documents, files, etc. which need to be stored away on the Adm User side. A second PC would certainly eliminate a lot of work there as well as offer more avenues for productivity in other areas.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    11,352
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 845 Times in 803 Posts
    Rep Power
    9647194
    Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post
    That's interesting. Right now I'm using one PC split into two Users (one non-Adm) and it's ok but I'm spending more time online these days where I use the non-Adm User to accumulate lots of documents, files, etc. which need to be stored away on the Adm User side. A second PC would certainly eliminate a lot of work there as well as offer more avenues for productivity in other areas.

    Not altogether sure what is being said here but where "documents and files" need to be stored it is a very good thing to get an external USB 3.0 drive. A 1TB spinner is cheap and can hold a shedload of data, especially if it is not audio/video.

    Even better is a "NAS" drive that can be accessed from any computer or phone on the network even from another country.

    "They" say your data is not safe unless held in three locations, one off machine and preff' in a cloud as well!

    BTW at one point we had two desktops interconnected by S/PDIF both ways (no, it does not result in a feedback loop!) so we could shunt digital audio about with no loss.

    Dave.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lakeland, Fl.
    Posts
    2,012
    Thanks
    459
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts
    Rep Power
    1650097
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Not altogether sure what is being said here but where "documents and files" need to be stored it is a very good thing to get an external USB 3.0 drive. A 1TB spinner is cheap and can hold a shedload of data, especially if it is not audio/video...

    ...

    Dave.
    I've got an external SSD on my shopping list.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. seperate midi interface used with a recording interface?
    By twangbuck in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-23-2013, 10:43
  2. Cakewalk UA-1G USB Audio Interface? (any thoughts on this Interface)
    By norskdrum in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 05:21
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 00:56
  4. Firewire Interface vs. mLAN Interface
    By rweiss in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2006, 08:41
  5. SoundCard/audio interface Interface
    By s0ze in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 09:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •