Two interfaces, one computer

Doon

I'm looking for suggestions on how to setup and use both the RME and ZED together in Cubase on one PC....
Maybe I should sell one and replace it with some other piece of gear to enhance one or the other or make the most of what I have...
I record vocal, guitar, synth drums and keyboard

RME FF800
A&H ZED16R
PC
Cubase

If they're both FireWire cards I'm pretty sure you can plug one into the other as I do with my two PreSonus FireStudio Projects. There's two firewire inputs on each and one to the PC as well as the other interface. Hope that helps.

Pretty much impossible since Windows cannot natively sync clock signals.

This is a piece of cake in OS X since it has native support for audio interface aggregation. I use this feature in Snow Leopard all the time.

Certain audio interface manufacturers support this in their drivers on the Windows side, but only when using 2 or more of the same interfaces.

The low-latency ASIO drivers you need to use have a rule: 1 asio driver at one time.

If you want more i/o, you need to get an interface with more i/o
or you need to get a brand that can expand via daisy-chaining.

For example, Motu is designed to allow 3 of their interfaces to daisy-chain together using ONE driver, so I can plug 2 more into my 828mkII and get over 60 simultaneous i/o's.

You can't just mix and match without problems.....

Even without interface aggregation, if the devices can sync to one another (e.g. over S/PDIF), you can do it in Mac OS X or Linux. There may be ways to do it in Windows using ASIO4ALL and multiple WDM drivers, but it's a hack.

Right now I'm using the ZED as optical ADAT into the RME and RME FW to computer....short of getting another computer and DAW I guess this is the best way to have it setup.
The only thing I end up losing is the MIDI control features from the ZED.

I use a MOTU Traveler and an Echo AudioFire 12 together on a Mac as an aggregate device, but I also have to use an external word clock -- if I don't, they tend to get flaky (clicks, pops, DAW puking due to sample rate drift) after a few minutes. With the clock, I can run those two, along with a third A/D converter (ART Digital MPA via S/PDIF coax) indefinitely without trouble, as long as I stay at 96khz. I use a Black Lion Audio microclock, but there are lots of other choices - many of them on the more spendy side, unfortunately.

But it sounds like you've got it under control - I'd definitely keep doing what you're doing over introducing new hardware.

Back