turning on monitors

Crow Feather

I have a pair of yamaha HS8 monitors.Every time i record i have to go to one side of my desk and then walk to the other side of desk and turn them on.I have to do the same when turning them off..I was thinking of putting a power strip with a switch(on-off) where i sit.Plug in the monitors to power strip.I will always leave monitor switchs on.That way i can turn them on and off at the power strip where i sit.My question is will this harm the monitors using this procedure

No, not at all - remote mains switching is fine on these because the power switch on the unit simply breaks the live cable - the same as your idea will. That said, I never turn anything off - computers, amps, keys, monitors, rack kit............. My experience is they last longer and the downside the electricity - which is rarely as expensive as folk think. Of course, with the saving the planet theme ...... I don't tell anyone.

No, not at all - remote mains switching is fine on these because the power switch on the unit simply breaks the live cable - the same as your idea will. That said, I never turn anything off - computers, amps, keys, monitors, rack kit............. My experience is they last longer and the downside the electricity - which is rarely as expensive as folk think. Of course, with the saving the planet theme ...... I don't tell anyone.

The only evidence that I have ever come across that normal power cycling harms electronics is for power amps that are run very hot, then cold then hot...The power transistors do thermally age but it takes a'king long time and only really applies to pro, sound PA amps. But, you must do as you feel best.

To the OP's problem? No it will do no harm but I am always surprised at how few people make use of wireless mains switches? Cheap enough and they fail off in the event of a power cut.

Dave.

That said, I never turn anything off - computers, amps, keys, monitors, rack kit............. My experience is they last longer and the downside the electricity - which is rarely as expensive as folk think. Of course, with the saving the planet theme ...... I don't tell anyone.
Me, I'm a serial turner off ~ er !

Saves on the electric bill as well. I recently stopped switching my monitors/sub off when not in use. My electric bill went down a bunch.

No problem shutting them down via power strip.

I'm interested in the bill going down. I calculated my studio left on should cost me £1.50 a day, based on the labels on the kit, but as when silent, loads of the kit draw hardly anything, the bill is never this much. Once the computer monitors go black and the computers go to sleep - I set 30 mins on the monitors and an hour on the two computers, consumption drops nicely. The rack kit seems to draw very little current. As long as I turn the lights off, my 24/7 system adds I think perhaps 20-25 a month, and being able to rush from the main house to the studio at the back and be recording in no time works so well for me. Start up time for off to ready to record in my studio is maybe five minutes? BUT Windows 10 even though I tell it not to, often says it is updating and this often takes ages.

I'm interested in the bill going down. I calculated my studio left on should cost me £1.50 a day, based on the labels on the kit, but as when silent, loads of the kit draw hardly anything, the bill is never this much. Once the computer monitors go black and the computers go to sleep - I set 30 mins on the monitors and an hour on the two computers, consumption drops nicely. The rack kit seems to draw very little current. As long as I turn the lights off, my 24/7 system adds I think perhaps 20-25 a month, and being able to rush from the main house to the studio at the back and be recording in no time works so well for me. Start up time for off to ready to record in my studio is maybe five minutes? BUT Windows 10 even though I tell it not to, often says it is updating and this often takes ages.

So, my recording PC is shut down when not in use. The spinning drives don't need to sweat. My internet PC never shuts down. No power use there.

What I found was when I leave my recording rig up and running (monitors, power amps, and such) that did make a substantial power consumption. Seems even at idle, the amps were burning dollar bills. Also I have a 2000 watt PA system in my studio that I often forget to shut down. Old school (not Mosfet) power amps that give off a shit ton of heat... That may be the largest of my issues. But the studio monitors also run hot even when signal is not being sent to them.

I must ask, why does it take 5 min to power up your system?

My W7 and SSD's takes 20 seconds to boot. Another 12.5 seconds to load Cubase 10. I just timed it...

Back