Troubleshooting Noise/Interference

Ste-c

Hi!

I've noticed a weird noise when I'm recording bass direct into my interface.

I was wondering if anyone could offer opinions as to where this issue might be. It seems to be happening with both of my basses and both instrument cables. Could there be interference from something else? Or do you think the interface itself is the problem?

Signal path is literally BASS > CABLE > INTERFACE > USB CABLE > LAPTOP (Logic X). The interface is an old M Audio Mobile Pre II.

It won't let me link the example as I'm a new user. But I will post some more and see if I can get my EXP POINTS up! In the meantime please DM for link.

Thanks!

It's private, and the SoundCloud script/code is pretty agressive about inserting that player even if you don't want it. Just select, right-click and "go to" (Chrome browser) this: soundcloud.com/clearyscorner/troubleshooting-the-noise-112719/s-3FIji

Could be noise just coming in through the bass pickups. Are they single coils, e.g., a Jazz Bass?

Have you tried a different USB cable, or one with an RF choke or 2 on it?

Just grasping at straws here...

P.S. (edit) you can just copy that bold URL into the address bar of your browser if it's not Chrome and it should land on the clip in SoundCloud, too.

Back