Track count reality check, how many you got?

camn said:
ok, you little conflicting aid-heads...

I know the different arrays... but Im thinking about a RAID array AND a single drive for progs... and Im in it for SPEED , and DATA backup.. so Im ok with no backup in the programs.. but will I get a speed benefit?

I reckon yes...because the comp loads up the prog into ram... and doesnt need to refer to the progs home directory too much during tracking.. right? Esp if the temp folders are all on the raid drives?

The speed benefit will only come from any data that exists on a striped drive. Soooo... relative to music, if you have your tracks on a Striped drive, yes you will see a benifit. You will probably be able to acheive more tracks. Thats until you throw your plugins... then I can't say how much the raid will help you.

Regarding Raid

It seems some of you guys are really very into this RAID thing.
I've read some good things and bad things about it. Frankly
I don't know much about RAID, but the fact that people are still
debating over it is just plain scary to me. Perhaps when we reach a time
when it becomes a standard feature then maybe that's the time to consider.JUst like when people were crazy about SCSI and then suddenly ATA 100 7200 rpm drives rip everything wide open. Just a thought.

Re: Regarding Raid

Deen said:
It seems some of you guys are really very into this RAID thing.
I've read some good things and bad things about it. Frankly
I don't know much about RAID, but the fact that people are still
debating over it is just plain scary to me. Perhaps when we reach a time
when it becomes a standard feature then maybe that's the time to consider.JUst like when people were crazy about SCSI and then suddenly ATA 100 7200 rpm drives rip everything wide open. Just a thought.

Hey, RAID could be considered a standard in the server market. Fact is, if you have a server, and its mission critical (meaning, down time is BAD), there is a good chance you'll find it uses RAID.

A true Digital Video production workstation also uses RAID. (among other things)

Web servers, File Servers, High bandwidth databases.. blah blah... when you need the power and security.. you'll find RAID!

and damn dude, even poor people have it!. You can find RAID in a lot of apartments with cockroach problems! What does THAT tell you :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

i'm using a p3, 1ghz, 512ram, win98, cakewalk pro audio 9, aardvark direct pro 2496, bunch of plugins, wavelab, gigastudio.
i didn't test maximum track count or anything like that, but i'm getting 24 tracks at 24bit/44.1khz with 10-12 plugins going on, and the cpu load indicator is reaching 30-40%. hd indicator is 4-5%. i'm getting some stutter, but that's not related to track count, i think.

adriano

Back