Hi,

I have a home-studio with the following current setup;

Avid Digidesign 003 Audio Interface
Golden Age Premier PREQ-73 mic preamp
AKG C314 Mic
Shure SM58 Mic
Roland ep7 Master Keyboard
Avid Pro Tools 12 DAW

I mainly do a lot of voice-over work (audiobooks, audioguides, web promo spots, e-learning courses, etc...) and small music pre-production (electric gtrs, acustic guitars, vocals, bass and sampled instruments MIDI) in a relatively good (as good as my budget allowed) sound treated room.

The Golden Age Premier PREQ-73 recent addon made it clear the deficienty of the pres of the Digi003 and also some electrical "noise" issues it seems to have.

My newly updated PC has USB2, USB3 and Firewire connection

I would most appreciate if you could help me as i'm searchign for a new Audio Interface for my home studio.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a home-studio with the following current setup;

Avid Digidesign 003 Audio Interface
Golden Age Premier PREQ-73 mic preamp
AKG C314 Mic
Shure SM58 Mic
Avid Pro Tools 12 DAW

I mainly do a lot of voice-over work (audiobooks, audioguides, web promo spots, e-learning courses, etc...) and small music pre-production (electric gtrs, acustic guitars, vocals, bass and sampled instruments MIDI) in a relatively good (as good as my budget allowed) sound treated room.

The Golden Age Premier PREQ-73 recent addon made it clear the deficienty of the pres of the Digi003 and also some electrical "noise" issues it seems to have.

My newly updated PC has USB2, USB3 and Firewire connection

I would most appreciate if you could help me as i'm searchign for a new Audio Interface for my home studio.

Thank you in advance

It depends entirely on how many channels you need of IO and what sort of VI count your sessions have. PT 12 can use anything that has a decent driver for ASIO. Presonus thunderbolt interfaces have been getting good reviews. Focusrite is good but there ASIO can be finicky IME. Apogee, UAD and RME all have high recommendations. Here is a good overview of some of what's available. Note that pricing goes up for faster connectivity as well as better preamps. Audio Interface Buying Guide | Sweetwater

Thank you Gtoboy,

Ias i said in the post i mainly do Voice-Over works thru the GAP PREQ-73 connected in a line input of the Digi003.

As for the music prodctions i record electric/acustic guitars, vocal and bass thru the GAP too (one instrument at the time, no "band" recording) and use Superior Drummer, Kontakt, Omnisphere as VI goes

Made a quick search in my local second hand market and found this so far;

Rme Fireface 800 and a Rme Fireface UC both at 616$

I was wondering (used) RME Fireface UC vs (new) Focusrite Clarett 4Pre

Any thought ?

Lemec,
Recently, I have added the Audient id22, as my AI, and been using it for the past six months. It takes each of my channel strips, without fail, and is freakishly quiet, with its Burr Brown converters. The id22 and upper-models allow you to bypass the Pre-s, using the Insert returns. I really like the channels strips that I use, and the id22 passes the signal transparently. It has been a game changer for my rig.
Dale

Last edited:
Hi DaleVO for that info and help.

But as you can see there is also the question of the need of MIDI for some music pre-production i do also (electric/acustic guitars, bass, etc...)

And my PC only has USB2, USB3 and FW connection

Apologies Lemec,
I completely overlooked that need, in your post. Since I use my AI the same way as you desire (VO and Guitar), I was focused on your VO use / Guitar recording wants, and missed the MIDI needs.

I read something about MIDI, in the manual (Audio-MIDI Setup), but honestly do not know if it can handle it. It does not have a (what I know as) MIDI connection. However, it does have optical connection.
Dale

Hi,

After a search and regarding the needs that i mainly have in my daily works (Voice-Over thru an external MicPre, music production with the use of VI - Midi, recording of electric/acustic/bass guitars) meaning that i usually can work with max 2 mic/line input in the AI, 2 balanced inputs for the external MicPre, and MIDI interface for the MasterKeyboard, i came up with this list (limited with my current budget of 670$/600€);

Zoom UAC-8
MOTU 8 Pre USB
MOTU UltraLite-mk4
Arturia AudioFuse
Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB
Presonus Studio 1824c

Any feedback/suggestions/advices ?

Thank you in advance

In doubt between the RME Fireface UC and the new RME Fireface UCX... What's your opinion ? Worth the diference ?

Back