to those of you already working with lcd/tft monitors in their studio:

fretless

how does the display refresh time (20/30/whatever ms) affect metering accuracy in your audio (sequencer) software? is there also a smearing effect like there is with fast games (first person shooters). if you set your meters to catch peaks does it then mutate to showing rms values?!? ;)

since the prices for lcds are dropping and crt monitors won´t get lighter and smaller i´m considering buying up to two lcds this or next year - please tell me your experiences!

thanks!

fretless

I am using a Samsung Syncmaster 191T LCD monitor, it has no metering problems peak or other. The 191T has a refresh time of 25ms. The only things the monitor does different than my old 19" Sony CRT is 1. take up less space on my desk (a lot less) 2. Put out much less heat 3. it does hot induce hum in single coil guitar pickups (the old sony did). Very sharp, bright, saturated colors. Once you try an LCD you will never go back. Dan

newer LCD displays have lower refresh times... I am looking at buying a Sceptre... their refresh times are 10-15ms.

I like LCDs, the colors are bright and very portable, most of all, single coil guitar pickups wont have as much noise in front of LCDs compare to CRTs.

The only downside, the colors are off to an extent. As long as you aren't planning on doing some serious graphics work, LCDs are real nice!

Al

Back