Thoroughbred and Thorton What's the difference? Work with ASUS A7M266?

hrn

Hi guys,
I'm about to update my "old" studio computer from an Athlon 1.4 GHz and thought it could be a good idea to grab one of the cheap Athlon XP's available now before they disappear from the market. I saw that there are two models which seems to have about the same price and description.

So, which one should I get? Do they work with my motherboard?

My motherboard is ASUS A7M 266 with 266 MHz memory

Hans,
www.hagen.nu

http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

If you look up your motherboard it appears that it only supports Palomino....and not even thoroughbreds. Check your motherboard model number closely as the A7M266-D will support Tbreds. The A7M 266 is a no go.

Thorton has the same amount of L2 cache as the T'Bred but is based on the Barton core, so it has a larger die and more transistors. The thorton core was created to reduce cost basically....they only have to run one production line. The performance will not be any different than a t'bred...technically the larger die will probably run a little cooler, but it is probably of no consequence to you. If you intend to purchase a motherboard I would check for thorton compatability if you decide to go with a thorton. My advice would be to get whatever is priced the best between the two cores.

Back