Tascam DR-40 editing

khayes1995

I’ve got a new Tascam DR-40 and I’m recording using the built in stereo mics and I’m using a 3rd channel with a phantom mic. What software can I use to edit all 3 tacks separately? I’m running my files thru Audacity and it only presents two tracks. The 3rd track is automatically being mixed evenly into the stereo tracks. Are tracks 3 and 4 virtual tracks that can only be mixed thru the recorder on playback? I’m I doing something wrong with Audacity? I’m new to all this recording technology. I go back to the reel to reel days.

The manual says that you have to record in 4-ch mode to use external inputs with the built-in mics, and then you get 2-stereo tracks (1-2) in one file, and the external inputs (3-4) in a separate file in the project.

http://tascam-ca.com/content/downloads/products/706/6l_dr-40_om_multilingual_vb.pdf

I'm not familiar with this device, so make sure you're actually recording more than 2 channels. Then, when you browse the project folders from your PC you should see more than one file and the find the second file has the 3rd track.

Back