tascam 16x08 and reaper on windows recording to hot?

colorado_hick

last weekend I tried to get a live recording using a new tascam 16x08 running into a windows 7 64 bit laptop using Reaper as the DAW. For the channels that were in the house sound (vocals and instruments) I pulled off the insert channels on my Allen and Heath Zed using cables that are TRS on one side and TS on the other that allow me to use a channel insert as pre out. For channels not in the house sound (drum set and some room mics) they went straight to the XLR inputs on the tascam.
The issue I ran into is that everything was recording really hot. I had the kick drum gain on the audio input turned almost all the way down. For the channels on the board, I had to trim them so low that it was hard to get them back in the house mix. If the signal was just getting half way up the green lights on the PFL monitoring on my board it was clipping in Reaper.
There is a gain switch for the inputs on the audio interface that I had on the lower setting. Any other ideas? Is there some sort of setting in the windows properties for the audio interface where I could be picking up signal gain? Would different DAW software be better or is there a reaper setting I do not know about?
thanks

The -10/+4 switch selects operating level, not gain. If you had it set to -10 it was expecting a lower signal, "consumer" line level. The +4 level is for "pro" line level.

Back