Switch from Digital Recorder to Computer

hfd

For years I've used the Roland Boss Br 1600 with good results. However, I want to crossover to computer recording. My concern is latency. I have a Dell Optiplex 745 with 4 gb and 64 bit OS. CPU at 3.4 GHz. Windows Vista Business. Hard drive space is not an issue. Will this configuration serve my purpose? Thank you.

Core2Duo will work just fine for audio.

Vista might slow you down. If you can upgrade to Win7 or crossgrade to XP, you should.

If you're coming from a BR1600, I'm assuming you are recording just audio. If that's the case your projects can have many tracks. With careful management of VST plugs, it won't slow down. Use only one or two reverb plugs and 'Send" to them instead of inserting in each track. Use other plugs sparingly if you can. CPU power will determine how many plugs you can use at one time.

If you're going midi based recording and will use a lot of sample libraries, you might run into problems. Memory will determine how many libraries you can load at one time.

As an example, I used to run Core2Duo with only one sample type VSTi (EZDrummer) and I would record about 10-12 tracks. I usually had one or two plugs on each track and my computer never struggled. I could probably record at least 10 more tracks before I would start to see problems.

Back