Which 'Swiss Army' style pocket recorder/mixer/interface?

isiton212

Hi everyone,

I think I'm in the market for a small portable device along the lines of a V-Studio 100 or similar. I have no experience whatsoever in this area, but I have managed to boil down my requirements, so I'm hoping the good folks here can offer some recommendations based on them.

The first task is to mix live as I sing and play acoustic guitar. I need to apply some decent quality compression and/or reverb to both sources. Other effects (delay, chorus etc) would be nice to play with but not essential. I need to send this 'wet' mix out to a PA, so it would be good if there was an easy way (ie, single button or footswitch) to switch the vocal effects off between songs without having to drill into menus.

Secondly, I'd like to record onto SD onboard. The wet mix would be fine but obviously the more flexibility the better. The recordings will be a training aid and to put together a simple demo.

Finally, the ideal device will come with some nice DAW software and act as a control surface for later work. I have no desire to invest heavily in the computer side of things but I can see the value of a multipurpose device that makes it easy to do some basic cleanup and file manipulation.

A half-decent mic preamp (one is fine, as the guitar has its own) and above-average reverb and compression are high on the list too. I can probably spend $1000 or so for the right bit of kit, but I'm hoping to find something nearer $500.

The V-Studio was the device that first steered me away from looking at stomp boxes, as far as I can tell it would do the trick but I don't know how well it will perform as a live effects box (ie, can I kill the reverb easily enough). Of course, there are a whole bunch of other offerings from other manufacturers and I'm keen to learn about them. Any suggestions or advice based on experience would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ian

For wicked small- Zoom H4n does pretty much what you want to do. There are more and better effects in the Zoom R16. Both are well within your price range.

Back