studio monitor question

Mmil09

I have recnetly started a small computer-based studio, and I am using an Audiophile 2496 with 1 RCA input (a mixer/preamp connected to it) and 1 RCA output. Right now, I have the Audiophile 2496 output connected to the RCA input of a Kenwood stereo receiver that delivers 100 watts/channel to some very good home stereo speakers + a sub (all connected with speaker wire). However, now that I've been reading more about home recording, I think it would be a good idea to upgrade to some studio reference monitors.

My question is:

Should I get passive studio monitors, and connect them the same way that I connect my home stereo speakers (connect the to the receiver with speaker wire)? or would the home stereo receiver reduce the accuracy of the studio monitors? What other options do I have? Should I get active ones?

Thanks in advance for your help; I'm pretty new at this.

My vote is for active ones, however you will loose the volume control that you have on your stereo. You will have to get a central station or something to handle all that.
It also depends on how serious you are and how deep you want to get into this. It is possible, with time, to get used to the goofyness of your stereo setup and get usable mixes. It is just easier with better stuff, if you know what to listen for. If you are doing well on this setup, spend your money on something else. A $250 pair of 'studio monitors' may not be a step up from your home stereo. (depending on the home stereo, of coarse)

Back