studio computer advice

ttraskal

Hi all, I have the opportunity to upgrade my studio computer. i currently use one set up for audio only and have good results. my question is if i set up the new computer for studio use it will also be used for internet access. i have a seprate drive for audio, but remember hearing that there could be issues with virus software, firewalls and other apps. running in the background. i will reformat but still have limited apps.running for internet access. my second option is to use the old computer for internet, and the new one for studio use only, but that would involve some additional expense, (new monitor , ethernet card etc. for the old computer). should i be concerned with the new box being used for audio and internet use. i would like to get the best performance from the new computer in a studio application. by the way this is a great forum, i have lurked for years and have learned a lot. thanks for any input

you can use the old one for internet and the new one for audio. Get a KVM switch and you can use one keyboard, one mouse, and one monitor and switch between the 2 computers with the switch. You will not have to shut down one to switch to the other. The only draw back is that you can not see both of them at exactly the same time. You can set your new computer up to run on 2 monitors, then set up the KVM switch so that sometimes your new computer has 2 monitors and when you switch to the older computer, then one monitor will work for the new computer, and one will work for the old one....when you switch back, you get 2 monitors for the new computer again....

Last edited:
you can use the old one for internet and the new one for audio. Get a KBM switch and you can use one keyboard, one mouse, and one monitor and switch between the 2 computers with the switch. You will not have to shut down one to switch to the other. The only draw back is that you can not see both of them at exactly the same time. You can set your new computer up to run on 2 monitors, then set up the KBM switch so that sometimes your new computer has 2 monitors and when you switch to the older computer, then one monitor will work for the new computer, and one will work for the old one....when you switch back, you get 2 monitors for the new computer again....

+1 Excellent response.

On the other hand, you can just use the one computer for all your applications. I used to have separate 'audio' and 'other' computers, but these days, if you have decent firewall and virus protection, you can, as I do, use one fearlessly.

It's personally preference if you want to run two or just one but like Gecko said it's really not that big of a issue to run a separate one for internet. If you know how to keep your PC clean then you'll never have any problems. Plus on a non-internet DAW you'd still be connecting to get the windows updates unless you planned on downloading every update and throwing it to a flash drive to update the DAW.

1995 thinking.

In the 'old days' when computers were sub-1Ghz and sub-1Gb Ram, you had to tweak the hell out of them to get any kind of audio performance. Not now.

Kinda like saying you have to do the speed tweaks of a 1950 Ford on a 2000-era car just because its on a list of 'what everyone has to do'....

You can also have 2 seperate accounts set up on one PC...Use one for audio that has your Lan, Anti-Virus and other apps disabled and one for internet that has these features enabled....

Cheers

Back