student versions of recording software

teddyastuffed

hello everyone! lately ive been looking for a sequencer, but its so difficult for me to cough up a load of money on a piece of software that i have never "truely" used (demos are so stripped down that its ridiculous). i noticed that programs such as cubase sx3 come in a student version thats almost half the price (about $350). is it the same exact program just with a student/teacher discount? or is it stripped down as well? i thought about getting the cubase se or guitar tracks 3 or something, but i would really like to just get this now and not have to upgrade or anything (considering most people say the sequencer just comes down to comfortable feel with it). i feel the most comfortable with the cubase demo, but i do not have $600 to drop on it (im just gettin by paycheck to paycheck). but i do realise that i need a sequencer to do some serious recording and actually have a hobby outside of work and school.

so pretty much in short, is the student version of sequencers the exact same thing as the full program with a discount or is it stripped down?

They are usually fully functional programs, but may have restrictions in the licence saying that you can't use it for commercial purposes.

I have the Educational version of Audition, and it is fully working. You can try their demo for 30 days, and it will let you save your work, and use plug-ins and all. It was purchased from the site timboZ mentioned, Acedemic Superstore....

teddyastuffed said:
hello everyone! lately ive been looking for a sequencer, but its so difficult for me to cough up a load of money on a piece of software that i have never "truely" used (demos are so stripped down that its ridiculous). i noticed that programs such as cubase sx3 come in a student version thats almost half the price (about $350). is it the same exact program just with a student/teacher discount? or is it stripped down as well? i thought about getting the cubase se or guitar tracks 3 or something, but i would really like to just get this now and not have to upgrade or anything (considering most people say the sequencer just comes down to comfortable feel with it). i feel the most comfortable with the cubase demo, but i do not have $600 to drop on it (im just gettin by paycheck to paycheck). but i do realise that i need a sequencer to do some serious recording and actually have a hobby outside of work and school.

so pretty much in short, is the student version of sequencers the exact same thing as the full program with a discount or is it stripped down?

Most of the software on my desktop is "educational" or "academic" and everything seems to be same as regular versions. But its worth checking. One of my friends bought a student version of some video software (dunno what it was since I'm no video guy) and it was actually meant for classroom use and teaching purposes.. therefore pretty useless for regular users.

The educational / academic versions are the full versions (I am a computer tec for a schools district) They can not be upgraded to a newer version due to the license.
And should not be used for commercial use.

my licence agreement for sonar and reason don't say anything about not being able to upgrade....

an alternative site to check out is www.studica.com
be warned though, that some of their prices are not good deals at all. most are discounted for students though

I bought an academic version of Sonar, then upgraded through Sonar 2 and 3 to commercial versions with no problem.

thanks for fast replies, but if i cant use it for commercial use (which i hope to be doing some time down the line, esspecially cuz i already have a lot of hook ups with bands that r interested in recording) then i dont think that would be viable.

that n-track program seems interesting, but how can one program be $60 and one be $600 and still be just as good??? it just seems like buying a $60 dollar mic and comparing it to a $600 microphone. i always thought it was "u pay for what u get" type of deal.

if anyone has tried both programs, could someone detail the differences between the say cubase and n-track?

thanks again everyone

Generally you get what you pay for, but there are always exceptions. With hardware, the RNC (Really Nice Compressor - http://www.fmraudio.com) is one exception. Amazing compressor for under $200. With SW, N-Track is a great bargain! I've honestly never really tried other software (except for Traktion which I didn't like that much) because N-Track does everything I need in a DAW software package. I decided to spend more money on things that directly affect the sound, such as microphones/pre-amps/acoustic treatment/etc...
Sorry I can't compare it directly with Cubase/Sonar/other more $$$$ software, but I have been happy with N-Track.
Good luck! :)

teddyastuffed said:
that n-track program seems interesting, but how can one program be $60 and one be $600 and still be just as good??? it just seems like buying a $60 dollar mic and comparing it to a $600 microphone. i always thought it was "u pay for what u get" type of deal.

Mixcraft, n-Track, Power Tracks, Anvil Studio, and other low cost software are almost as full featured as some of the $500 ones, and your not out a lot for trying them........

Back