student budget recording?

racketstar

Hi all, first post here, so not sure if this is where this should go, but ill give it a try anyway.

bsically, i'm currently a vet med student here in the UK and i love music. However, i dont really know how to go about getting started, i have a guitar, cables, amp, Boss - GT8, mic and mid range laptop. Ontop of this i have literally no money being a student and all so any tips on how to get started and start making some great sounding recordings would be great.

Well no matter what you are Going to have to spend some money somewere before you can really start recording.....

You will need an Interface (that acts as a sound card and does all of your AD/DA Conversion) and since you are on a Lap top you will be relegated to either a Firewire interface or a USB Interface....The USB Ones are much cheaper generally but they aren"t as reliable and usually can only record a Stereo Track at a Time were Firewire can Literally go over 100 Tracks at a Time if there were enough available inputs on the interface.....

If you have a Firewire port you could get something like the "Presonus FireBox" which has 2 Mic preamps with Phantom power and will let you record 2 Tracks at a Time and comes with recording software......

:)

well i may be able to get some money from somewhere to get me an interface in the near future, any ideas on what ones? and also some recording/mixing software thing? and also, i was surfing around the line 6 website and found this http://www.line6.com/toneport/ any good?

EDIT:

Just found this one aswell http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MDOMOBILEPRE this looks better for me because i was planning on investing in a condenser mic so would need phantom power anyway. Any opinions or experiences with this? and also this sends the audio in via the USB right? because my soundcard is pretty bad.

Last edited:
be careful with USB interfaces

SOME firewire interfaces are working ok, some are horrendous

LOTS of cheap, used PCI interfaces out there

Back