storage (backup) of wav files

C. Anthony

I have hundreds of wav files (songs) that I've been making my own CD's with. Enough about that. I've been doing considerable editing and tweeking of these files in Sound Forge and then burn them to CD. After all the hours I've put into the editing I want to make damn sure I have several copies of the CD's in audio form and also back up the data onto data CD's. I use Adaptec Direct CD for the data CD's. (CD Architect for the audio cd's)
All my data CD's were made with Direct CD version 1.01.
I will soon be upgrading my computer hardware and OS to Windows 98se. My Direct CD program states it is only for Windows 95. Whether that's true or not I don't know. I have a copy of Easy CD 4.02. I want to put it on the updated computer but am afraid that all my data disks made with version 1.0. won't be able to be read.
So how do YOU backup files and do you have any experience with Direct CD? Please help me out.
Thanks

Do you have the Adaptec EZ CD creator? I thought that came bundled with it. If so, Just tell it you want to make a data CD and save 'em as wave files and yer off to the races.

Just to add on a bit to what Track Rat said. Direct CD is an additional program to EZ-CD creator. It's main function is to use a CD as a 'virtual' hard drive. i.e., keep adding files (write once only) to it until the CD is full, and then close the session.

Not a big fan of this program. You should also have a program called 'ez-cd', which is better suited. To backup data, select data layout tab, to make an audio disk, select audio layout tab.

As for upgrading software and be able to read with a new version. If you put one of your previous backup data CD's in your cd-rom, double click 'my computer'. Can you read the contents from there? If so, no problem. If you can't read it from there than I suspect the disk isn't closed and would need to be viewed through direct CD (if even possible then).

Thanks both of you for the reply's. I know I can use another program to make any future data CD's. I specifically need to know if all the many data CD's I've already made using Direct CD version 1.0.1 will be able to be read by the newer version included with Easy CD Creator version 4.02 (I think it's Direct CD version 3.5 or something). It's the older disks I will need to refer to and really want to know the answer to this Q before I go ahead and install new OS (98se) and newer Easy CD program. It's the disks I've already made thats the concern. Of course to do new work these files have long ago been deleted from my hard drives. The info is now only on these older data CD's and in Direct CD version 1.0. form.

I know some don't like the Direct CD format (making the CD basically a harddrive able to be read by any computer). It has been a good way to transfer these files to differant computers not hooked up to my computer via a network. The disks basically become a 600+mb hotswappable harddrive. These other computer don't even have to have the Adaptec software loaded. It may not be the best way buts it's the way I did it with these disks so thats why I need to know. Roxio who owns Adaptec software now is impossible to get this answer from. Their support pages are a mess.
Anybody ever use Direct CD besides me?

CD media is cheap. Just burn it, and be done with it. Adding another variable(direct CD) into a very important thing ie. backing up data(songs that have been slaved over for weeks/months), is asking for problems.

But, whatever works.

The data discs that EZ-CD Ceator creates are just as "hot-swappable" in any other CD-ROM as the ones that Direct CD creates. The extra step of putting together the file list prior to the burn and having that saved as a .cl3 file adds some important organization to your archiving operation.

Hey, does anyone know of something that will allow you to break large files (greater than 650 MB) into pieces that can be reassembled, like Winzip will do with floppies? Not usually a problem with my audio projects but with digital video...

AlChuck said:
Hey, does anyone know of something that will allow you to break large files (greater than 650 MB) into pieces that can be reassembled, like Winzip will do with floppies? Not usually a problem with my audio projects but with digital video...
There are many such programs. Look for "file-splitting" kind of software on e.g. www.download.com. Some of them are freeware as well.
I have a program called FileSplit, which works quite well. You have the option of generating a simple .bat file for re-merging the parts (all you need to do is double-click on it), and it works fine for large files too. You can download a trial version at www.partridgesoft.com. It's only $10 to register.

Back