Stock Soundcard / Multichannel Soundcard

RJ_HighRisk

Hi all:
Well, last night I got to experience first hand, the advantage & necessity of having a multichannel sound card.
Having just recently unpacked my studio gear from last year's move to a new home, I decided to "go Digital".
So, with 20 odd reels of 1/4" tape mastered on an old Tascam 338, I want to begin to transfer those old 8 track masters to digital.

Just to experiment, I ran a dual RCA out from the deck (one on track 1 - the other on track 2) to my Turtle Beach sound card used with Adobe Audition.
each track assigned to a track in the software.

Well, the first pair recorded nicely to their respective tracks in the software.
At this point, those 2 tracks were locked in timing.

And here's when I had a feeling that I might have some timing problems I've been reading about here & other forums.

I rewound the tape, hooked up the next two tracks, (3 & 4) and recorded those to Audition.

With the ability to "slide" the wave forms on a time line I was able to "sync" up the beginings of the 4 tracks together. That worked pretty slick, & I thought I was very clever at this pont!

But, by the time the tune ended (3+ minutes) the timing was off.

Any tips on syncing with a single stereo input sound card?
(other than getting a multiple input one, which is what I'll be doing soon enough)

I probably shouldn't spend too much time trying to sync up the pairs of tracks, eh?

Overall, I'm impressed the way Audition & that TB Santa Cruz card worked with the stereo pair.

Can't wait for the new sound card - I'm seriiously thinking about going with an Echo Audio product - either the LAYLA3G or the FIREAUDIO8.

Thanks for reading this far !!

RJ Hagler
High Risk Studios
Cleveland - USA

Sync will be a big problem as you've already found out. The analog tape deck NEVER plays back at exactly the same speed so even if you sync the beginning, it'll drift a bit with each pass and that's the problem.

One way you can do it is to stripe SMPTE onto the tape and then sync the DAW software to the SMPTE stripe, but that requires a spare tape track, and probably more hardware. Or you can painstakingly split and nudge the waveforms in the Daw as necessary to compensate for the drift. Or, you can wait for more I/O. ;)

RD

Back