Steinberg UR22 Audio Interface - Would You Recommend It?

gvdv

Hi,
I am looking for a relatively cheap, good sounding, audio interface and have read mostly good things about the Steinberg UR22.

I wanted to ask people here:
- Would you recommend this unit, and if not, why not?

More specifically,
- A minority of the reviews that I have read say that the UR22 cannot record guitars well (that it creates peak levels immediately): what has your experience been when recording electric guitar with the UR22?

My requirements for an audio interface are:
1. Under $300 (a must)
2. Preferably 196 kHz, but willing to go to 96 kHz
3. MIDI capable (a must)
4. Harware mixing for balancing recorded (output) and input signals - cannot stand using software for this (a must)
5. Mute switch for cutting output signal to monitors (not essential, but it would be nice)
6. Portable (a must)
7. Runs off USB bus power (not essential, but nice)
8. Works with Mac as well as PC (a must)

I have also been looking at the Roland Duo-Capture EX, which, from the reviews, sounds excellent, but which (unbelievably nowadays) does not have a mute switch for the audio monitors.

Any advice is gratefully appreciated.

gvdv.

Hi,
I am looking for a relatively cheap, good sounding, audio interface and have read mostly good things about the Steinberg UR22.

I wanted to ask people here:
- Would you recommend this unit, and if not, why not?

More specifically,
- A minority of the reviews that I have read say that the UR22 cannot record guitars well (that it creates peak levels immediately): what has your experience been when recording electric guitar with the UR22?

My requirements for an audio interface are:
1. Under $300 (a must)
2. Preferably 196 kHz, but willing to go to 96 kHz
3. MIDI capable (a must)
4. Harware mixing for balancing recorded (output) and input signals - cannot stand using software for this (a must)
5. Mute switch for cutting output signal to monitors (not essential, but it would be nice)
6. Portable (a must)
7. Runs off USB bus power (not essential, but nice)
8. Works with Mac as well as PC (a must)

I have also been looking at the Roland Duo-Capture EX, which, from the reviews, sounds excellent, but which (unbelievably nowadays) does not have a mute switch for the audio monitors.

Any advice is gratefully appreciated.

gvdv.

I'm a big Steinberg fan, but I haven't used the UR22. I was disappointed and let the rep know that I thought they would spend a few more cents and bring the thing up to USB 3.0 standards.

I use an EMU-1212m PCIe. It was under $200, but it seems its been discontinued and I don't see a replacement for it. Alesis Multimix burned me on using USB. Nothing but driver problems, and audio / data bottlenecking. However I don't think this is the case for most USB systems or everyone would have tossed them in the sewer by now.

thanks.

Hi Jokerone,
Many thanks for your reply.

Just 'phoned my local store, and placed an order for a UR22.

It just seemed like the direction to go in - probably because of its simplicity (no software panel), and increased sound quality capabilities (because of the 192 k setting).

I did like several things about the Roland Duo-Capture EX has a 'mono-stereo-off' switch for hardware monitoring, and that it can be used with an iPad and some PC tablets - but I have no need of those things at the moment.

I resisted the chance to buy a second-hand unit, and so will have to wait another month to post again about how I am finding the UR22 in use.

Someone on another board did point out that some of the older UR22's had an issue with low-frequency noise (for more information see https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/ur22-audio-interface-notification-regarding-low-frequency-noise.html), but apparently that is not the case with the newer units.

I rarely buy something this quickly - although I have to admit that I have done a few days' of research.

Now begins that frustrating process of waiting for the UR22 to arrive.

Will post my 'findings' after I have taken receipt of the UR22 and have put it through its paces.

Thanks, once again,

gvdv.

Hi gvdv,
I have read very, very little bad about the UR22 but one instance was that the device had rather low headroom in the mic pre amps.

The manual, http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_hardware/UR22/UR22_documentation/UR22_OperationManual_en.pdf
lists the maximum mic input as 0dBV and yes, if you were to put a high output capacitor mic in front of a decent amp you could generate the 120dBSPL needed to overload the pre amp but since the first choice for a cab mic is almost always a dynamic there is little danger of this happening (unless you can get the cab to 150dBSPL!).

But even if there was a problem an inline XLR 20dB attenuator is only a few pounds. Almost all AIs have but one gain control knob and you cannot do everything with just the one knob (shutup at the back there boy!) I would much rather have the gain than the headroom.

If it is the high Z input that is being criticized then again, a VERY high output guitar might clip it since the overload point is given as +5.8dBV (almost 2volts rms) but that is quite a bit better than several other AIs and guitars have pots.

Look forward to your results.
BTW, record 24 bits but at 44.1kHz. 192kHz will sound just the same but eat up disc space.

Oh POO! Just checked and they list the MIC input max at 0dB "YOO" not V so it is a bit worse than I said, 2.2dB worse in fact. But I still would not worry.
Silly Steinberg tho! They DO rate the high Z input in dBV!
Dave.

I was disappointed and let the rep know that I thought they would spend a few more cents and bring the thing up to USB 3.0 standards.

Dont hold your breath on that.

There is only 1 or 2 (very) expensive usb3 interfaces and usb2 is good up through a couple of dozen simultaneous channels.

The manufacturers are not going to spend the money.

Hi Jokerone,
Many thanks for your reply.

Just 'phoned my local store, and placed an order for a UR22.

It just seemed like the direction to go in - probably because of its simplicity (no software panel), and increased sound quality capabilities (because of the 192 k setting).

I did like several things about the Roland Duo-Capture EX has a 'mono-stereo-off' switch for hardware monitoring, and that it can be used with an iPad and some PC tablets - but I have no need of those things at the moment.

I resisted the chance to buy a second-hand unit, and so will have to wait another month to post again about how I am finding the UR22 in use.

Someone on another board did point out that some of the older UR22's had an issue with low-frequency noise (for more information see https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/ur22-audio-interface-notification-regarding-low-frequency-noise.html), but apparently that is not the case with the newer units.

I rarely buy something this quickly - although I have to admit that I have done a few days' of research.

Now begins that frustrating process of waiting for the UR22 to arrive.

Will post my 'findings' after I have taken receipt of the UR22 and have put it through its paces.

Thanks, once again,

gvdv.

very cool. please let us know how it turns out.

Hi gvdv,
I have read very, very little bad about the UR22 but one instance was that the device had rather low headroom in the mic pre amps.

The manual, http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_hardware/UR22/UR22_documentation/UR22_OperationManual_en.pdf
lists the maximum mic input as 0dBV and yes, if you were to put a high output capacitor mic in front of a decent amp you could generate the 120dBSPL needed to overload the pre amp but since the first choice for a cab mic is almost always a dynamic there is little danger of this happening (unless you can get the cab to 150dBSPL!).

But even if there was a problem an inline XLR 20dB attenuator is only a few pounds. Almost all AIs have but one gain control knob and you cannot do everything with just the one knob (shutup at the back there boy!) I would much rather have the gain than the headroom.

If it is the high Z input that is being criticized then again, a VERY high output guitar might clip it since the overload point is given as +5.8dBV (almost 2volts rms) but that is quite a bit better than several other AIs and guitars have pots.

Look forward to your results.
BTW, record 24 bits but at 44.1kHz. 192kHz will sound just the same but eat up disc space.

Oh POO! Just checked and they list the MIC input max at 0dB "YOO" not V so it is a bit worse than I said, 2.2dB worse in fact. But I still would not worry.
Silly Steinberg tho! They DO rate the high Z input in dBV!
Dave.
Hi eec83,
Thanks for your reply.

I cannot pretend to understand all that technical stuff, but trust that what you say, and what so many others have obviously experienced, is that the UR22 obviously 'does the job' - well done, that interface!

Looking forward to taking receipt of it and finding something that works properly and well (have used a couple of AI's over the years, which, for various reasons, have not quite hit the proverbial spot).

Thanks, again, and TimOBrien, thanks for your post, too.

gvdv

Got the Steinberg UR-22 about a week ago, and have been putting it through its paces.

I have been using it with Garageband and a bit with Reaper, and it seems to be a decent enough device.

Definitely no colouration of the sound.

I must look in the manual to see if I am wrong about this, but I would have expected the 'Hi Z' push in switch to activate the 'Hi Z' function when pushed in; mine only works when the button is 'out', but that is a small quibble.

For the price, a very nice unit.

I'm glad to hear that. I am interested in getting a UR22 but have read that the preamps are pretty bad.

WHERE! Did you read that the pre-amps were "bad"? This doe not seem to support that view..

Steinberg UR22

Mention IS made above that a very high sound level into a sensitive capacitor mic MIGHT overload the inputs but that is the price you pay for a "one knob pre amp"! All budget AIs are so compromised. As you move into the RME/MOTU class you get software gain control but impecunious bastards like me have to be content with analogue solutions!

I would far rather have a decent level of gain and low noise than very high headroom, after all, the noob generally starts with a dymo! XLR 20dB pads are cheap enough.

If I might just add? When looking around for a capacitor microphone, especially a "big one". try to get a model with a 10, better 20dB pad on it...Best of Both!

Dave.

Yeah, that's strange. I had one and thought the preamps were very clean. They sound a lot like my SSL. The SSL has much more headroom, but for recording into a DAW the Steinberg is fine and very good for the price.

No surprise there. Get two million people buying things every day and you're bound to hit the lemons on the equipment and human side. Probably some duck who wanted a Neve 5052 in a hundred dollar box...

Well, I did not read all 271 reviews, just the bad one.

I have read bad things about the 2i2 drivers before but I think this is some kind of "finger trouble" on the part of the user? Many people who I respect here and on another forum think quite highly of the 2i2. Personally I have never used one but think they are a bit pricey for no MIDI.

For the reviewer to say " there are no good USB drivers for low latency" is of course complete tosh. My KA6 will run easily at 64 samples and probably 32 on this new build, not tried that yet. RME and MOTU have also produced superbly quick USB kit. I even had a Fast Track Pro that was quite good enough for MIDI playback.

There will always be compromises and incompatibilities at this price level. TF we have the Distance Trading Regulations!

Dave.

Thought we were talking about UR22? Still, no argument. Just saying, on Amazon there's almost always a bad review of anything you look at.

I've had the Steinberg UR22 long enough to know it is great. Headroom is kinda low but what you do hear from the preamp is nice. There are ways around that. I have an Alesis mixer in front of the UR22. Works fine, good sound.

" I'm glad to hear that. I am interested in getting a UR22 but have read that the preamps are pretty bad. "

I use a UR-44 with Great River Pres that I route into the line-in ports. I use the UR-44 pres if I need extras. Otherwise, it is a AD- DA converter with some extra IO. Works just fine in that application and it was inexpensive. It interfaces well with Cubase 7.5 too, which you would expect.

Back