Static and Bleeps

Locrian

Im running WindowsME with SB Live! and bought Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro only to find out I cant record anything. Even when I try recording with Windows recorder all I get is static and bleeps. I've tried recording though the mic and directly through my sound card. both give me the same noise. i noticed that when unmuting the mic in the volume play control i get the same horrible noise... does anyone have any idea whats going on?

Im trying to record from my guitar by the way. I have the guitar plugged to my amp, which is hooked up to a converter cable to go into the computer. it worked on my old computer... and as mentioned before, i tried just putting the mic up to the amp and trying to record that way, but it still gives me the same noise.

hrm.

-Locrian

can you play 'thru' the recording software without actually recording? for example, in one program , you have to arm a track for recording before you can audition it....or hear it....but what you are playing or inputing to the pc doesn't get recorded until you hit the 'record' button...can you do this type of thing without the problematic noise?

no, I cant hear the guitar at all. forgot to mention that. I only get the noise when I play back what I have recorded... or tried to record.

if you can't hear the guitar at all, the first thing is to get a signal running thru the pc. do you have a line out on your amp? if so , you want to run this into the line in on the soundblaster... if the line out on your amp is mono, you wil have to split the signal with a Y cable and then use a stereo mini adapter to go into the sound card, since the line input on the soundblaster is stereo..you want to make sure the amp isn't turned up loud , cause this will cause distortion

have you got the 'line in' checked for playback and recording in Windows Volume Control (under Options/Properties)?
Can you choose the Soundblaster as your recording input in your Cakewalk program? there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to record guitar....even if you don't have a line out on your amp, you should be able to use the mic...in which case the mic goes into the mic input....you said you got noise when you unmuted the mic, does this happen even when the volume is turned all the way down?

j: yes. i turned the mic in record control ALL the way down, and did the same for the mic in playback. then i unmuted it, and raised the playback slider the slightest notch up possible... and i get static and bleeps.

AlChuck:
"I wish I had a nickel for every time I have pointed out this article: http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Les...indowsMixer.htm"

didnt work. :o\

[edit]
hmm interesting... selecting Line In under record control does the same thing that unmuting the mic in playback control does. terrible noise. no matter how low the volume is set...
[/edit]

Back