Starting basement studio- need advice

HabitualG

Hello everybody, I need some advice on getting my basement studio going. The room is all set up and I have good performance equipment (guitars, drums, amps, basses, mics) from playing live music... i would like to be able to get songs onto CD.
recording wise, i have a ZOOM-MRS1044 which I have been using to demo guitar harmonies and simple stuff and I have been mixing down to my tape deck just like I did with my old porta02. I just bought the USB device so I can sync the MRS with my laptop (fairly new, 1.6 Ghz, plenty of ram and disk space). Basically what I would like to do is get some orchestrations from Finale 2002 onto the MRS (cheaper than hiring a string section!) but I am clueless on how to do that. I am also clueless on how to get a good mix to CD- I use Cool Edit Pro to do some other stuff (like cutting up tracks for a local dance school) and I was wondering if I could use that program also or look into a better program. I have a decent budget and want to get started right away.
To summarize- I need help with using my ZOOM MRS-1044, Finale 2002, and Cool Edit Pro to get a good finished product. Thank you!

Back