Spike at 33.8 kHz

loquat

Hi there I was doing some recording at home the other day when I noticed something I'd never seen before. I was recording bongo drums through an SM58 without the screen on it. The signal path was SM58 -- FMR Audio Really Nice Preamp -- M-Audio Delta 1010 -- into Ableton Live 8.2. I noticed a spike at 33.8kHz when recording. I took a screen shot to illustrate. Does anyone out there know what this might be and if I should be concerned about it? Any suggestions about what I should do (if anything)? Thanks in advance.
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4228/screenshot338khzspike.png

Hi there I was doing some recording at home the other day when I noticed something I'd never seen before. I was recording bongo drums through an SM58 without the screen on it. The signal path was SM58 -- FMR Audio Really Nice Preamp -- M-Audio Delta 1010 -- into Ableton Live 8.2. I noticed a spike at 33.8kHz when recording. I took a screen shot to illustrate. Does anyone out there know what this might be and if I should be concerned about it? Any suggestions about what I should do (if anything)? Thanks in advance.
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4228/screenshot338khzspike.png

The human ear can only hear up to about 20khz, and with a frequency that high I wouldn't worry about it eating up that much headroom. I'd say you're fine. I don't really know what could cause that....

Thanks for your response Yammie072. I'm just going to get on with recording and stop worrying about it. Especially since it's out of our hearing range anyway. Do you even think it's worth sticking a high cut on there?

Could be switching noise from something. I would not worry about it; if you were planning on converting to 44.1kHz it will be filtered out there anyway.

Could be switching noise from something. I would not worry about it; if you were planning on converting to 44.1kHz it will be filtered out there anyway.

Thanks mshilarious for your response. I'm recording at 96kHz right but I will indeed be converting it to 44.1kHz when I'm finished. If that takes care of it I'm set. Thanks again

A -72dB noise peak at an entirely inaudible frequency? I don't think that will too cruelly mar the grandeur and majesty of your bongo drum recording. :p

A -72dB noise peak at an entirely inaudible frequency? I don't think that will too cruelly mar the grandeur and majesty of your bongo drum recording. :p
Fair enough. :cool: Heaven forbid the bongo sound is compromised! But I do use the other channel on the same preamp for vocals so I just want to make sure there isn't a larger problem.

Back