Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Spike at 33.8 kHz

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Spike at 33.8 kHz

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi there I was doing some recording at home the other day when I noticed something I'd never seen before. I was recording bongo drums through an SM58 without the screen on it. The signal path was SM58 -- FMR Audio Really Nice Preamp -- M-Audio Delta 1010 -- into Ableton Live 8.2. I noticed a spike at 33.8kHz when recording. I took a screen shot to illustrate. Does anyone out there know what this might be and if I should be concerned about it? Any suggestions about what I should do (if anything)? Thanks in advance.
    http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4...38khzspike.png

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    456098
    Quote Originally Posted by loquat View Post
    Hi there I was doing some recording at home the other day when I noticed something I'd never seen before. I was recording bongo drums through an SM58 without the screen on it. The signal path was SM58 -- FMR Audio Really Nice Preamp -- M-Audio Delta 1010 -- into Ableton Live 8.2. I noticed a spike at 33.8kHz when recording. I took a screen shot to illustrate. Does anyone out there know what this might be and if I should be concerned about it? Any suggestions about what I should do (if anything)? Thanks in advance.
    http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4...38khzspike.png
    The human ear can only hear up to about 20khz, and with a frequency that high I wouldn't worry about it eating up that much headroom. I'd say you're fine. I don't really know what could cause that....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for your response Yammie072. I'm just going to get on with recording and stop worrying about it. Especially since it's out of our hearing range anyway. Do you even think it's worth sticking a high cut on there?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    11,510
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Could be switching noise from something. I would not worry about it; if you were planning on converting to 44.1kHz it will be filtered out there anyway.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mshilarious View Post
    Could be switching noise from something. I would not worry about it; if you were planning on converting to 44.1kHz it will be filtered out there anyway.
    Thanks mshilarious for your response. I'm recording at 96kHz right but I will indeed be converting it to 44.1kHz when I'm finished. If that takes care of it I'm set. Thanks again

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    133262
    A -72dB noise peak at an entirely inaudible frequency? I don't think that will too cruelly mar the grandeur and majesty of your bongo drum recording.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robdean View Post
    A -72dB noise peak at an entirely inaudible frequency? I don't think that will too cruelly mar the grandeur and majesty of your bongo drum recording.
    Fair enough. Heaven forbid the bongo sound is compromised! But I do use the other channel on the same preamp for vocals so I just want to make sure there isn't a larger problem.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. XT20: 48 kHz or 44.1 kHz,which one to use?
    By bluesallday in forum Alesis Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 08:24
  2. New Mackie Spike
    By Bloodbought in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 18:07
  3. 44.1 kHz versus 96 kHz?
    By EveningSky in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 08:35
  4. Audiophile 44.1 Khz or 48 Khz
    By MASTON in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2001, 22:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •