Thread: Spike at 33.8 kHz

Thanks

Spike at 33.8 kHz

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi there I was doing some recording at home the other day when I noticed something I'd never seen before. I was recording bongo drums through an SM58 without the screen on it. The signal path was SM58 -- FMR Audio Really Nice Preamp -- M-Audio Delta 1010 -- into Ableton Live 8.2. I noticed a spike at 33.8kHz when recording. I took a screen shot to illustrate. Does anyone out there know what this might be and if I should be concerned about it? Any suggestions about what I should do (if anything)? Thanks in advance.
    http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4...38khzspike.png

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by loquat View Post
    Hi there I was doing some recording at home the other day when I noticed something I'd never seen before. I was recording bongo drums through an SM58 without the screen on it. The signal path was SM58 -- FMR Audio Really Nice Preamp -- M-Audio Delta 1010 -- into Ableton Live 8.2. I noticed a spike at 33.8kHz when recording. I took a screen shot to illustrate. Does anyone out there know what this might be and if I should be concerned about it? Any suggestions about what I should do (if anything)? Thanks in advance.
    http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4...38khzspike.png
    The human ear can only hear up to about 20khz, and with a frequency that high I wouldn't worry about it eating up that much headroom. I'd say you're fine. I don't really know what could cause that....

Thanks
    Thanks for your response Yammie072. I'm just going to get on with recording and stop worrying about it. Especially since it's out of our hearing range anyway. Do you even think it's worth sticking a high cut on there?

Thanks
    Could be switching noise from something. I would not worry about it; if you were planning on converting to 44.1kHz it will be filtered out there anyway.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mshilarious View Post
    Could be switching noise from something. I would not worry about it; if you were planning on converting to 44.1kHz it will be filtered out there anyway.
    Thanks mshilarious for your response. I'm recording at 96kHz right but I will indeed be converting it to 44.1kHz when I'm finished. If that takes care of it I'm set. Thanks again

Thanks
    A -72dB noise peak at an entirely inaudible frequency? I don't think that will too cruelly mar the grandeur and majesty of your bongo drum recording.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robdean View Post
    A -72dB noise peak at an entirely inaudible frequency? I don't think that will too cruelly mar the grandeur and majesty of your bongo drum recording.
    Fair enough. Heaven forbid the bongo sound is compromised! But I do use the other channel on the same preamp for vocals so I just want to make sure there isn't a larger problem.

Thread Information