Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SPDIF out -> USB in?

Thanks

SPDIF out -> USB in?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have a Joe Meek mic amp/compressor that has spdif optical/rca out. My computer only has USB and Thunderbolt inputs. Can someone suggest a adapter so I can connect from spdif to usb/thunderbolt? I know there are audio interfaces that can do this but they have a lot of stuff like preamp, xlr and line inputs that I just don't need. Thats what my Joe Meek is for. I just need to find a way to connect to my computer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Purchase the right tool for the platform.

Seems you need to do some research before spending any more cash...

What were you thinking?

Welcome to your next endeavor xfan10

Read and learn...

PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 10 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    I did purchase the right tool. I've owned the joe meek for about 5 years now and worked well with my old mac. but my new mac has no options for optical in and I old mac died. I have spend a few days searching for a solution. Most have extra junk I don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Purchase the right tool for the platform.

Seems you need to do some research before spending any more cash...

What were you thinking?

Welcome to your next endeavor xfan10

Read and learn...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xfan10 View Post
    I did purchase the right tool. I've owned the joe meek for about 5 years now and worked well with my old mac. but my new mac has no options for optical in and I old mac died. I have spend a few days searching for a solution. Most have extra junk I don't need.
    Um, I was not and still not trying to be a dick, but you purchased a new tool that does not work with what you have...Sounds like a wrong tool purchase to me... Just saying...

Now it seems you need to purchase an interface that will allow you to use your preamp.

Back to what I suggested.

Sorry if I seem out of line, but I made the point of researching before spending. It works every time.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 10 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Um, I was not and still not trying to be a dick, but you purchased a new tool that does not work with what you have...Sounds like a wrong tool purchase to me... Just saying...

Now it seems you need to purchase an interface that will allow you to use your preamp.

Back to what I suggested.

Sorry if I seem out of line, but I made the point of researching before spending. It works every time.
    I see your a Windows user and you might just be talking about something you aren't familiar with. You don't know my situation, You don't how 99% of everything else works with my "Tool". This is simply a interface issue. If you don't know that answer then fine. But its not very helpful when you imply that I need a new computer.

Thanks
    You don't need a new computer and I don't see Jimmy implying that you do. What you need is an interface or soundcard with optical in to go between you current equipment. I doubt you'll find anything other than an interface to connect spdif to usb.

Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! - TheMrClean.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Clean View Post
    You don't need a new computer and I don't see Jimmy implying that you do. What you need is an interface or soundcard with optical in to go between you current equipment. I doubt you'll find anything other than an interface to connect spdif to usb.

+1

You need an interface.

S/PDIF is a standard for feeding a digital signal from one AUDIO device to another. In turn, to get this into a computer you need some form of interface, be it to USB, Thunderbolt or whatever.

If a previous computer could take S/PDIF directly, it's simply that the built in interface on that computer had an S/PDIF input. Lots of older interfaces did--even rubbish things like Sound Blaster. However, this capability is a lot less common now.

I don't know of any "adaptors" that can do this...and, if one existed, it would be a simple interface without the bits you don't need. Unfortunately, these days S/PDIF tends to be included only on very high-end interfaces and mixers, hence Jimmy's comment.
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Analogue Stereo to SPDIF Digital Audio Converter | LINDY UK

That,^ gets you audio to S/PDIF. S/PDIF to audio is much cheaper, like $20.
    Likewise optical to co-ax and tother way are also cheap as chips you can even get one that does both in one box!

If it was a PC with a PCI slot you could fit the cheap but quite good Trust Optical Expert card which has both optical and co-ax in and out. Maplin are selling the excellent 2496 card for a score.
    I have two Minidisc recorders that can do the conversions for me!

A second hand M-A fast track pro will do the conversion both ways and if it don't like the mac it will do it stand alone if you put 9volts up its jaxy!

LOTS of way to skin THIS moggie!

(or get a KA6!)

Dave.

Thanks
    Yeah...lots of ways to get from S/PDIF to analogue (and vice versa).

That's not what's needed. He needs S/PDIF to USB or Thunderbolt. That's easy. It's called an audio interface however you approach it.

Personally, having got from microphone to S/PDIF digital I probably wouldn't want to go back to analogue again for an easy conversion to USB, but....
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xfan10 View Post
    I see your a Windows user and you might just be talking about something you aren't familiar with. You don't know my situation, You don't how 99% of everything else works with my "Tool". This is simply a interface issue. If you don't know that answer then fine. But its not very helpful when you imply that I need a new computer.
    I never implied that you need a new computer man. Jeez...

You need only an audio interface.

I hope that in the future you will take the time to read what is printed instead of jumping to conclusions. Not comprehending seems to have gotten you in this place.

I didn't do it.

Seriously man, best wishes. Just get an interface and try not to take things so personally.

Thread Information