Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK Headphones sound only in mono

mandarin3000

Hi to all!

I have connected an analog synth to my Soundcraft Signature 12 mtk (stereo channel 9+10). The sound preset on the synth is in stereo. Through the speakers connected to the mixer (group 1+2 output) the synth sounds in stereo. But if listening to the same synth through the headphone output of the mixer, it sounds in mono.

The headphones cannot be the reason. Connected to the synth directly they sound stereo.

A detail that may help: The mixer is plugger to the USB port of my mac running mac os x 10.10 Yosemite. Also, I am using the Mac-own Audio-Midi utility to configure the inputs and outputs. There is no option to toggle the headphone sound between mono and stereo, though.

Any idea of what's wrong?
Thanks in advance!

There's a good chance that that L & R are coming back through the headphones as mono, which may be a function of the utility.

Whether you want to monitor in stereo or monitor depends on what you are recording, and some utilities will allow this to be changed.

Hi there. My name is Sean. First of all, I'd like to let you know that I am blind. Therefore, I use talking software to use my PC. I have Windows 10. I've got the Soundcraft Signature MTK-12 and am having the same issues as the original poster. I only hear mono audio out of the headphone monitor. Could anyone please help me with this? It's driving me crazy. Lol. I don't have XLR Monitors to use. Sorry if the message seems a bit sloppy. I'm just frustrated as I did spend quite a lot on this mixer and seem to be getting nowhere with help from other blind users of the mixer. Thanks so much for your possible help in advance. Take care all and Please Stay Safe!!!

Hi Sean.
First thing to know is did you ever hear stereo? Is it something that changed or broke recently, or have you never had stereo playback with this setup?

When you say mono playback do you mean you're hearing only audio from one side, or you're hearing the same audio in both sides?

If you're using a three and a half millimeter to quarter inch plug adapter make sure it's stereo rather than mono.
Mono would be a metal plug with one plastic band separating tip from the rest of it (sleeve).
Stereo would have two plastic bands giving three separate metal conductors - Tip, ring, and sleeve : The same as the headphone plug but bigger.
You should be able to feel the bands with a finger nail.

Okay, so, from start to finish. The mono has always been what i hear from the headset.
I hear the mono in both ears so that the sound is in the center most channel.
The 3/8ths to quarter-inch adapter is stereo.
Sorry I didn't mention this in my first post. Lol. Thanks so much for your quick answer. Hopefully with your help, I can get everything set right. Thanks again for any further help possible.
Take care and stay safe.

Hi Sean.
First thing to know is did you ever hear stereo? Is it something that changed or broke recently, or have you never had stereo playback with this setup?

When you say mono playback do you mean you're hearing only audio from one side, or you're hearing the same audio in both sides?

If you're using a three and a half millimeter to quarter inch plug adapter make sure it's stereo rather than mono.
Mono would be a metal plug with one plastic band separating tip from the rest of it (sleeve).
Stereo would have two plastic bands giving three separate metal conductors - Tip, ring, and sleeve : The same as the headphone plug but bigger.
You should be able to feel the bands with a finger nail.

I just bought an MTK 22 and was having the same problem. I have used groups 3&4 with a double quarter inch mono jack to a single stereo jack into my headphones. I can now use groups 3&4 sliders to control the headphones in stereo. Remember to group to 3&4 on the channels button.

It was the PFL function on the mixer. Thanks for ur help!
What was the pfl function????
Hi to all!

I have connected an analog synth to my Soundcraft Signature 12 mtk (stereo channel 9+10). The sound preset on the synth is in stereo. Through the speakers connected to the mixer (group 1+2 output) the synth sounds in stereo. But if listening to the same synth through the headphone output of the mixer, it sounds in mono.

The headphones cannot be the reason. Connected to the synth directly they sound stereo.

A detail that may help: The mixer is plugger to the USB port of my mac running mac os x 10.10 Yosemite. Also, I am using the Mac-own Audio-Midi utility to configure the inputs and outputs. There is no option to toggle the headphone sound between mono and stereo, though.

Any idea of what's wrong?
Thanks in advance!
So you found a solution but did not describe it whatsoever?? Lol. Share with the rest of us who are still dealing w this issue please. Really appreciate it. Thx

He joined, made this post and sorted it and never came back. He wont even see this post now I’m afraid.

he mentioned it was the PFL. With many so called stereo devices, the width is processing done to the original, so when a stereo channel is pfl’d the two channels are summed together, so the phase differences between them cancel out, leaving just the original sound. If you feed these signals to ordinary mono mixer channels and put the pan knobs in the middle, raising both faders fades out the width.

Back