sound recorder defaults to mono??

vince

last night I tried to encode a .wav file using the standard windoze sound recorder. here's the problem: it will only record in mono-- I went to radio shack and bought a 1/8" minijack to 2 rca-pin cable, running from the line in on my laptop (dell e/w sound blaster pro "compatible" soundcard). the rca ends go to the line out of my tascam 4 track.
I know the tascam output is true stereo, I played & recorded the tracks myself and know whats on L and R channel, when I double click on the .wav files "winamp" pops up and you only see the left track on the bar graph.
also is there any way to increase the recording time from 1 minute?

Make sure that the 1/8" end of that plug is really stereo (2 "bands", 3 "fields"). Even if it is I've seen jacks that won't accept them without dropping one or both channels.

yeah the cord is stereo. the problem was the ms sound recorder kept defaulting to 8bit mono. after several attempts I found the control panel/multimedia drivers and got it to work. I encoded a couple of items using pcm 44,100Hz, 16bit, stereo protocol. Then I used right-click mp3 (very cool) to encode mp3 at 128kbps. If you have an ftp server (or email) I'll send em. (you can't access these websites thru the firewall, guess I could get an external isp...)

Sure- send it along. My e-mail address is in my user profile. BTW- I've noticed you left that out of your profile, or I would've sent this memo durectly to you.
As to recording length- get Cool Edit 96.

drstawl, whats your email? or i sent 2 mp3's friday to dragon at this server. (I'm reluctant to put my internal email on the web but will reply to individuals!) I'm currently trying to understand sonic foundry software, once I get the FX "plug-ins" working I'll be on my way, I'm trying to buy sound forge xp but having a hard time finding it in dallas!
I'm more interested in creating tracks for now, adding loops will come later. need info on adding string scripts (symphony stuff behind acoustic) if you can't get the mp3's give me an email and i'll send em.

Above each post are two or three icons that sit next to the date and time of the post.
The one with the face and the question mark is my user profile. Click on that, then look up my e-mail address. As to Sound Forge- well there are two guitar satan locations in Dallas; have you checked with them?

Vince,

I also use our corporate ISP and didn't want to post my eMail address at work. So, I went out to hotmail.com and set up an external mailbox. It only takes a few minutes and it's FREE !!!! You also won't have to mess with your current mail client, you can access your hotmail account with just your browser.

Back