Sound Problems (HELP)

mwiktor

Hello,

I am having sound issues with my computer and current audio software. I use sampled orchestral instruments in my recordings.
I use Overture 4 software. When I playback the the audio using Overture 4 and then stop it, the sampled instruments keep playing, or hold the last note played for a few minutes.

I can't tell if this is a computer, sound card (which I have non, just a motherboard generic), or something else problem.

Any advice or guesses would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Mike

Community • View forum - General Discussion (Overture)

Worth a punt ^?

We need to know. Computer details espc' OS but I suspect you are always going to struggle using the OBSoundcard. They are put there for $2 to play 'puter sounds and YT, badly. OBS is pretty useless for any kind of music "work".

That forum might suggest a suitable Audio Interface but if not look for something that has ASIO drivers and reviews as having low latency.

Dave.

Hi Dave, and thank you for your help.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure how to approach it.
I do have a good video card that can run audio thru HDMI. I just need a monitor that supports audio... do you think that is a possibility?

I have a Dell Pavilion, 3.2 GH Processor, 16G Ram, standard hard drive, and a generic motherboard sound card...
My video card that can support audio is a Radeon R7 450

I don't have the answer, but I'm sure I read somewhere here not too long ago about a setting to stop / cut off the last notes
at end of song. Heck, it may have been while I was messing around in Reaper - IDK. I think Reaper has something in preferences
like Reset MIDI CC/Pitch for playback stop..

Thank you all!

I think that may actually be the problem versus a hardware issue, but I am going to try all avenues.
I will load all my MIDI "stuff" on a work computer that has top notch "everything' and see if I can reproduce what is going on.

Also, the CC123 is the notes off controller and works BUT I have no way to send it to all channels automatically.
Should I buy a MIDI controller to send the CC123? Would that work?

For now, my work around, as I write, is to create and empty measure after the area of music I am working on.
Once Overture 4 gets to that empty measure the MIDI and sounds stop, then I can stop Overture 4 and not have the issue....

Thank you

Thank you all!

I think that may actually be the problem versus a hardware issue, but I am going to try all avenues.
I will load all my MIDI "stuff" on a work computer that has top notch "everything' and see if I can reproduce what is going on.

Also, the CC123 is the notes off controller and works BUT I have no way to send it to all channels automatically.
Should I buy a MIDI controller to send the CC123? Would that work?

For now, my work around, as I write, is to create and empty measure after the area of music I am working on.
Once Overture 4 gets to that empty measure the MIDI and sounds stop, then I can stop Overture 4 and not have the issue....

Thank you

I don't know but I don't think a MIDI controller is going to help you. I am still of the opinion that you need a dedicate Audio Interface, that Radeon card only handle audio in the sense that it has an HDMI port and therefore must route audio AFAICS?

Clearly you have a desktop machine. If you have a spare PCI slot an M-Audio 2496 card would work famously IF you can find one! But in truth you are going to have to go for a USB interface and as I said, check for products with reported low latency. Steinberg UR22 gets a good rep. The Genll Focusrites I think are ok. My top choice, Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.

How do you listen to the music?

Dave.

The fact you can stop it points me towards a combination error. Some sound producing sources need the midi off message that somehow is being missed. Cubase, my preference gets around this by having a dedicated menu item that sends this to cure a lost stop. I don't know your sequencer but I suspect it may well have an option to send this. MIDI off messages often get lost, but rarely cause issues because most sounds naturally die off and you don't notice. With some sounds of course you do. It's also worth checking on a piano roll editor. Sometimes you can see these stuck notes, usually as very long lines. Sometimes these errors are because you have accidentally set the midi output internally back to the midi in. This causes loops and the slight delay means each note gets doubled. Very quick duplicates. You can check this is a list editor if you have one, or in the piano roll editor by playing very short notes which might be visible. How are you actually playing the notes without a midi keyboard? If you are using an on screen keyboard and a mouse, you will go mad and make little progress. For fifty quid or so for a basic midi controller, I'd certainly get one to save your sanity.

I've never found even the onboard sound cards having trouble with the creation side, simply the quality side.

Back