Sound Issues?

Morbid emptines

I dont think this problem I have is related at all with my DAW, or any DAW for that matter. Im just posting this here because I cant think of a better place to ask for help.

When I try to playback, or even record, everything is fine up until around 14 seconds. At that moment my computer stops playing any track. All tracks stop, and all the active tracks start blinking.

I use scarlet 2i2 for my audio interface. The interface and reaper actually play and perform flawless on a pretty old desktop.. But when I connect the audio interface to my laptop and run a reaper project, 14 odd seconds then bam, stops, starts blinking... Even while playing mp3's!!!!

This happens in every DAW i've tried, even audacity behaves the same way.. What the hell is this? I really appreciate anyone that can help. Sorry for the long post. I dont know how else to phrase this.

If Scarlet, Reaper and desktop are playing nice together, but Scarlet, Reaper and laptop aren't, that suggests the problem lies with the laptop. If it works fine until the 14 second mark, that suggests that some other application is hijacking the system. Have you tried turning off all polling software, e.g. virus checkers, screen savers, wireless devices?

Download Cpclat from Thesycon - USB Software Development

Run that for 10 minutes and see how the system performs. If it reports major glitches you will have to track down the cause.

Download Speccy from www.ninite.com (very safe, worry not) and see if your CPU is overheating, could be clogged with dust.

This problem will NOT be a lack of power in the laptop. This HP i3 lappy I am typing on can run an 8i6 no sweat and outputs both the Reaper and Cubase demos. Recording 2 tracks is a P.O.P. In fact, from the sort of sublime to the ridiculous, I had an old HP Compaq that would record 2 tracks, 44.1kHz, 24 bits for as long as the 20G HDD lasted! That had an 850 MEG Hz cpu and 1/2 G of ram. Ran XP pro and a fast track pro.

This is solvable I am sure.

Dave.

Back