Sound cards, CPUs and other technical wonders...

Dragon

Large and Scaly Mixing Maniac
Welcome Dr. D...and thanks for the kind words.

Don't bother upgrading with that plan. A 166, even with afterburner, is way obsolete at this point. And Windows 3.x is completely obsolete.

I'd just decide whether to either sell some DATs and put together a spectacular computer-based system for $1500 to $2000, or go to 8-track minidisc/hard disk recorder. In the latter case you could still use his current system to do some editing of tracks, perhaps.

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 07-14-1999).]

Our bass player has a Microsound (MTU) card that is about 4-5 years old. He is running it in Win 3.x on a 486 dinosaur. Now he does have some mix downs that are quite impressive in terms of sound quality. But, with that system, there are limits on song length and number of tracts that can be handled. The other issue is that it requires a couple of DAT machines since that card itself does not do analogue/digital conversions.

So, the upgrade debate has started. :) Now I have the spare parts to build a P166 but, the mobo is pre-UDMA/66. Some info we have suggests HD space and access speed is more critical than CPU power. True or False? Also, if we stay with Win 3.x - no FAT32 and we hit the 2 gig HD partition ceiling.

Questions:
Is it worth putting together the P166 for this older card? I am skeptical. :/
Would the P166 support a newer card with features comparable to the Microsound?
We have priced new cards of this type in the $500-$800 range. I have seen 8 track digital (minidisc) machines in this price range. Would money be better spent just recording direct to minidisc. ( I personally have done much more recording on digital 8 track than on computer software).

Help me spend this money. :)

Dr.D

PS: Dragon, just found this site and it rocks!!

Much obliged O'Scaley One.

I kinda figured the realistic options would boil down to that. Im about ready to start burning my own CDs anyway. Looks like its time for a new puter. :)

Dr.D

Back