Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sound cards and Bluetooth

Thanks

Sound cards and Bluetooth

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm wondering if I have a aftermarket sound card installed in a PCI slot and the onboard sound chip set disabled if that will effect the computers ability to communicate with Bluetooth? Dell XPS tower bluetooth capable from the factory.

Thanks
    No. But have you tried it? That would give you the definitive answer.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I can't try that with my Asus/AMD 6core home build because (afaik) the MOBO does not have BTh though it does have a 2496 PCI* card in it.

But! Even if the card screwed the OB BTh no matter! Just get a dongle as I did for my wife's really old laptop. BTW, you do know Blue tooth is SHIT sound quality?

*Why? Most folks have gone USB now.

Dave.

Thanks
    Yes I know the quality is not there, but I was going to get a middle of the road Bluetooth earbud set just to check my mixes on. So many people listen to music on their smart phones, laptops, or with ear buds so I wanted to see how my mixes transfer as compared to commercial recordings. Yes I am having trouble getting my mixes to sound as professional as I would like and transfer properly. I am looking at many things, this is just one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by songsj View Post
    Yes I know the quality is not there, but I was going to get a middle of the road Bluetooth earbud set just to check my mixes on. So many people listen to music on their smart phones, laptops, or with ear buds so I wanted to see how my mixes transfer as compared to commercial recordings. Yes I am having trouble getting my mixes to sound as professional as I would like and transfer properly. I am looking at many things, this is just one.
    So, which PCI card were you thinking of getting? Pretty rare beasts these days.

Dave.

Thanks
    Jusfort. If push comes to shovit you could dump the files as MP3 to a phone via USB then transmit that as BT to a bud?
    As you say, that is the way 99% of the kids are listening anyway.

At least I could do that with my "not smart" ***** 210.

Dave. What the **** is wrong with N.O.K.I.A?

Thanks
    I can't imagine how it would impact the BT radio in the system. But, practically, folks aren't just using BT earbuds (or even decent phones), but many are listening to streaming services that are compressed even beyond the original content's 256k-ish levels. I'd just put my mixes in SoundCloud and stream/listen from there. Folks listening at home probably are listening to CD quality mixes or at least 256k, but I'd guess many of those are using decent headphones or perhaps a soundbar or set of smaller BT speakers. (I confess most of my casual listening is of my collection as 256k stuff on my iPad via an inexpensive Samsung soundbar/sub.)
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Dave, I bought a Creative soundblaster card and installed it in the computer when it was new and disabled the onboard sound in device manager. Not sure it was an improvement, the thought was just that it will use less system resources than the onboard. Don't use it for recording have a Tascam 16x08 USB interface for that. My computer is a Dell XPS tower, 6th Generation i7, 16GB, 2 - 1TB, Drives. One drive is dedicated strictly for my music project files. I replaced my whole system at once, Computer, Monitors, Microphones, DAW, Plugins, the works AND installed them in a different room in my house. I have had real headaches the past year. Learning everything and getting used to all of the new gear is not my idea of having fun with music. Frankly I think I got better recordings on my old 32 bit Gateway Pentium 4, XP, 1GB, ram. and Alesis MOdel1 MKII monitors. I have 2 sets of Yamaha HS8's and am having a real hard time getting used to them even though they get rave reviews for the price. It does not help when your trying to mix for smartphones, tablets, earbuds, car stereos, boom boxes etc. Everything is critical.

Thanks
    Yes, what I'm shooting for is my recordings to sound professional, regardless of what they are played on. I am finding that a daunting task. Especially since most home studios like mine were set up on a budget. All my equipment probably cost 5k not 5 million. So at times I guess I have to learn to settle for the best I can do. Right now I am having a sibilance problem. The s's on my vocals will rip your head off at times. I have deesser's, used two different mics, messed with mic placement, split the wave forms manually and brought the volume down in the problem areas. Driving me crazy. You really hear it on computer and smart phone speakers because those things are reproducing the frequency ranges where most of this happens. If I was a more consistent singer I would cut my vocal tracks in a pro studio and mix the projects in mine but my best vocals are like capturing lighting in a bottle. I get them when I get them and am thankful that at 62 I can still do fairly well on a good day. We all know that when voices get older they do not get better. I'm trying to cut as many songs as I can while I still can. In 5 or 10 years I may need a bushel basket to carry a tune.

Thanks
    What's your mixing space like? Is it treated?

I mean, it's know it's hard to get mixes to translate, but it shouldn't really be hair-pulling hard all the time with good monitors, and it sounds like you've been at this for a while.

I figure you're not gonna please all the people all the time, and I'm not recording for all possible devices either, so my monitors, a set of cans and occasionally earbuds (I have never changed a mix based on earbuds) and the car and done.

I have also learned that getting other ears involved can help control the endless tree circling, or at least stop me from going around the wrong tree.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thread Information