Sound cards and Bluetooth

All good suggestions and another thing I am going to look at is compression, I may be guilty of using too darn many plugins just because I have them. Not when recording but when mixing. I have read opposing views on compression and sibilance. Some say if you compress the heck out of your signal your will bring up the non sibilant frequency volumes making the sibilance less noticeable. Others say when having a sibilance problem use compression sparingly as you are likely to bring up the sibilant frequency volumes making them even more obvious in the mix. I would be interested in peoples real world experience in this area. I am using a fair amount of compression on the vocals to even things out and a mastering compressor [ Waves 3-16 Maximizer ]on the master buss. I also have used the Waves F6 to try and basically find the offending frequencies and cut them in de-esser fashion by setting the threshold and gain reduction of those frquencies. I have to admit that so far all of the plugins I have used for this problem appear to be geared toward fine tuning an already almost passable performance. {Polishing} I have had good luck redicing but never eliminating a bad sibilant problem. I think at a certain point you are cooking the pre's or saturation the frequency range and if it is recorded that way I may have to settle for improvement and not elimination. So far I have had the best luck taking the time ti identify the sibiance on the wave form, split it, and bring the volume way down manually right on the item volume envelope. In fact I am amazed at how I can split a word and have it play back un-noticeable. Ah the wonders of modern recording. All this being said I prefer to keep working on minimization or ideally elimination of this problem. I certainly could spend my time more productively.

I've seen some vids where name producers have eq, de-ess, compress then de-ess again chains so there is always the possibility of increasing unwanted frequencies. A lot of old records had sibilant recordings on purpose though so you may find that you are falling into the trap of hearing something that no one else is really bothered by. Reference again.

Back