sound cards again Can Music cards be good all around cards?

SN

In the next few months, my brother wil buy a new computer. He is not a musician and is leaning towards a SB Live! card. (full one).
I just did some experiments with good headphones and our 4 year old SB16 card sounds pretty good. Save for the occasional electronic "swooshing" sound.

I have a 4 track cassette recorder (424mkIII) and I mix down to HiFi VHS. Mainly I just want to transfer music to CD for convenience-quality and durability.

In a year or two I may start doing more with my computer music wise so I want a card that I can "grow" with. I was thinking about those 4 in 4 out cards. (To me the 4 in are more important than the 4 out)
people here praise the Dmann 2044. How much more $$$ is it from the SB Live! (full) card? Is the extra money well spent? Can the Dmann or other "music" cards still perorm well for video games and the such. Most importantly, how good are the MIDI capabilities on such a card? Good quality MIDI sounds burned into the cards ROM?

What is the best value of "audio recording /MIDI" card around?

The company is called "Midiman" right?

Any experiences with the DmanPCI card?
18bit AD/DA , 90dB S/N, 64 voice wavetable

What do you guys do? do you have a MIDI /gaming card and then a second Audio recording card?

Also does having L-R 1/4" or RCA inputs really make an audible difference over having a 1/8" stereo mini-plug with the appropriate adapter cable?

Just took a trip over to the Midiman site and now I see why the Event Gina is $100 more, not including sonic differences, which I can't mention since I haven't heard the DMAN 2044. Despite the extra 2 inputs, they use a breakout snake instead of a breakout box and don't offer S/PDIF I/O. The manual even warns users to leave the screws on the breakout cable off so that an accidental yank won't damage the card as badly. Much less chance of that happening with a breakout box, since the user connections are to the box and not the card.

Back