sound card line in problem

joe-utu

i am having a problem where i line my mixer into my sound card through the line in and it will only record the right side (instead of stereo sound). if i line from my mixer into my mic in, it works in stereo but there's some hum i have to remove digitally (which therein affects the sounds recorded). is there anything i can do to get the line in to record in stereo?

here's what i am using (and please, telling em to get new stuff isn't help): creative sound blaster pci
peavey xr-600c mixer (main output into line in/mic in)

joe - re line in. this normal. you will see one mono waveform which you can pan if you wish anywhere in the stereo image,
if you want to record in stereo - you didsnt mention which multitrack sw you use - go into the track and you will find options probably for (assuming you have a stereo sound card) recording from left channel,right,and in stereo.
just change to stereo. then you will see a stereo waveform.
tell us what software you use.

oh ya, i am using cool edit pro. i right clicked on the track and it seems it was already in stereo. still not recording in stereo though. are there cards that are stereo in their mic in but not hteir line in?

This is asking the obvious question: Is the plug you are plugging into your sound-card jacks a stereo plug (TRS)? And is your signal path from mixer to sound card all in stereo?

i am assuming so. here's the dealie...

if i use the exact same set up and run my mixer out into my power amp, it's in stereo. if i run the exact same set up and run it into the mic in on my pc it's in stereo. but for some reason if i run it into the line in, it's not in stereo.

How are you connecting everything?

What connections are you using from the mixer into the computer?

Be as DETAILED as possible.

Are you using the RCA connections on the external box audio drive thingy or are you using the 1/8" connection on the back of the computer?

Are you using the tape out, main out on the mixer or the headphone out?

Heres what i would do anyway...assuming some stuff..

Use the main out L/R and connect the Left line into the white RCA connector on the audio drive and the Right line into the Red RCA connector.

If you dont have these RCA connectors buy a Dual RCA to mini stereo cable...radioshack.

Plug that from your mixer's tape out into your soundcard on the back.

hope this helps

seryozha said:
How are you connecting everything?

What connections are you using from the mixer into the computer?

Be as DETAILED as possible.

Are you using the RCA connections on the external box audio drive thingy or are you using the 1/8" connection on the back of the computer?

Are you using the tape out, main out on the mixer or the headphone out?

Heres what i would do anyway...assuming some stuff..

Use the main out L/R and connect the Left line into the white RCA connector on the audio drive and the Right line into the Red RCA connector.

If you dont have these RCA connectors buy a Dual RCA to mini stereo cable...radioshack.

Plug that from your mixer's tape out into your soundcard on the back.

hope this helps

alright. i have connect a few ways.

-pa speaker cord from speaker jack on back of mixer to 1/8 adapter in linein on sound card. i've done the same thing with the speaker cord running from the main out on the mixer as well. currently i have my tape out connected to an rca-1/4 adapater, the cable then going from that into the 1/8 adapter and into the line in. all results feature only one side getting audio. as before, if i connect into the mic in, i get stereo, but with the problem of a lot of hum.

Last edited:
Back