sound card help!!!!

Blue Budda

I am trying to build a pc, digital based home studio, and my computer i bought has a
sound blaster live card.....should i scap it and invest in something else????...i have not purchased any equipment as of yet (except the computer) as i research to find what i should buy (with a $3000 budget) to get up and running....anyone with any help or suggestions PLEASE REPLY!!!!!!...
THANX....BLUE BUDDA

get the hell away from that sound blaster i realized that they suck big time they are just what most company include because they dont expect you to be using you're pc for that, go with somethig designed for pc recording ! after hearing my buddys pc setup with a event darla and cool edit pro ,sound forge xp, a fostex digital mixer and a tube mp, and akg c3000 im awe struck at the capibilitys of it all i just got my darla and havent even used it but i know its much beter after comparing the sound that came of my old sound blaster, the difference is like night and day.

think it over though if you cant aford it now get it later you'lle be happy

Thanks Reco....if you were just starting out, what would you suggest as a decent set-up for a beginer (i dont want to outgrow it in 6 months, but would rather have a system i can expand on....ya know what i mean????)
any suggestions?????....thanx..Blue Budda

Hey man... I too recently began setting up a pc based studio. When I began I didnt even know what a soung card was. After reading every bit of documentation I could find I decided to go with a Gadget Labs WAVE 8*24. Its the cheapest way to get eight inputs which is about the minimum you want if youre recording a real drum kit. If youre using a drum machine you could get by cheaper. One word of warning...You will need a decent sized mixing board to take advantage of eight inputs since the WAVE 8*24 has no built in Mixer. All mics going into it must be preamplified. I didnt realize this when I bought the card. The WAVE 8*24 also comes with trial versions of Cool Edit Pro and Cakewalk. Cakewalk is definitely the more popular of the two audio editing platforms but I went with Cool Edit Pro since I couldnt get Cakewalk to work. Both came without documentation but you can download tha cool edit pro manual from their website. Beware: The manual is over two hundred pages long!!!

Thanx Sn-8, the more i research, the more confussed i get!!!!!!....i allmost ready just to buy a rolands vs-880 workstation and go from there!!!!!!......you hear so many mixed opions on setups, it is frustrating!!!
any other advice from anyone is greatly apprciated....what about turtle beach pinicale project studio????...or E-mu creation studio (theres that sound blaster agian!!!)....thanx...Blue Budda

Hey there, I feel your confusion, cause I just went through (still am actually). DONT BUY A ROLAND!!! look, you allready have the hard disk - no point in buying another. With three thousand bucks you will get one hell of a set up. Check out the Aardvark 20/20 or the Event Layla, both are plenty expanadable and have had great reviews. then youll need the multitracking and editing softwares, and a mixing board - get a mackie cause it has great mic preamps. I think you'll want to keep your sound blaster for gaming, but not for recording.
The all in one Roland is tempting, but lacks true expandability and quality.
good luck
-oliver

yo B.B...
I just started putting together a home studio; heres where I am and how much it cost...First I talked my girlfriend into buying a PC...$2500.00. Thats the big chunk.. The rest is nickle and dime stuff...I got a WAVE 8*24 because it was the cheapest way to get eight inputs into the computer. If you arent recording live drums you can probably get by with two inputs. To take advantage of the eight inputs on the WAVE you need a mixing board with EIGHT INSERT POINTS. Pay close attention to that detail because I almost got the wrong mixer. The cheapest mixer to suit my needs was an ALESIS Studio 12R...$350. Thw Wave 8*24 comes with a trial version of COOL EDIT PRO which you can upgrade to the full version for $250. I've spent a little over a grand and am up and running... all Im really lacking at this point is a good set of monitors and a poweramp.

Thanx everyone....hey, anyone got Events website address...i tried event...got every event under the sun, then i tried ardvark, intresting if your into body piercing and bi-sexuals.....me...i just a lesbian traped in a mans body....lol...thanx...BB
What about Turtle Beach????? Montea studio and Pinicale project studio???? Thanx agian

hey bb, i have the event layla with the mackie 1604. the sound quality is excellent. you probably would want to invest in a good mike preamp and condenser mic depending on what youre recording.you will also have more editing possibilities with the pc than the roland vs.

Back