Sound Card/Controller/Interface

fuzzsniffvoyage

Just thinking, is there, and there must be, a apparatus that doesn't cost a small fortune, that will interface with a computer via a hard card (not usb or firewire) that will controll your daw and have multiple ins and outs. Something like the m-audio controller but that doesn't use fire wire or usb? Any suggestions?

I'm using a m-audio mobile pre usb. I like it for the most part, but I could use like 6 or 8 ins and midi. I'd also like to have a controller.

If I got the Tascam US 1800, that has enough in/outs + midi, and if I got a mixer/controller what would be a good combo? I know the Tascam is usb, but I could live with that, but would prefer the former.

Also I am using Sonar X1.

In the process of building a new computer, so processing power/ram will not be an issue.

I'm in the same boat, though I don't need the controller. E-MU makes some PCIe cards that are tiered in terms of price point, but I can't speak to them, and M-Audio seems to have the affordable PCI. I'm not sure how future proof PCI is though... It's a conundrum.

I have an E-mu 1616 (PCMCIA) plugged into a PCMCIA to PCI adapter. has worked flawlessly for four + years. My ex and I had bought it so that we could use it with her HP laptop if we wanted. Her laptop couldn't handle the memory-intensive task of recording. It has since been plugged into my Acer desktop. If I'd had the final say, we would have gone with the PCI version. I would love to get the PCIe card, but that would mean I'd have to upgrade my computer, which beyond my means right now.
If I have one complaint with the 1616, it is the use of an ethernet cable to link the MicroDock (main interface) to the CardBus (PCMCIA card). The jacks on both pieces are a little flimsy, but as long as the connector is firmly seated, you should have no problem.
The E-mu Patchmix DSP is a lovely piece of software. My only complaint here is that I would prefer a more familiar style of gui. (It has horizontal slider style rather than knob/vert. slider orientation.) Given that, the parameters of inputs and outputs are extremely flexible.
I run Sonar Home Studio 7 (not XL) with a dual core AMD 64+ and 3.0 Gb's of ram. Sonar integrates seamlessly with the 1616 and you can use the dsp effects inside of Sonar.
You'll have to decide whether the interface is worth the $370. In my opinion, with the possible exception of the Zoom R- series (because of their flexibility), it's better than any usb/firewire interface available right now.

I'm kind of in the situation your describing. I've looked and looked and here is where I am: In the "budget" range, let's say under $1000. There isn't any PCI or PCIe surface controllers. There are usb and firewire ones, but then they have their own issuse, i.e. made for such and such software, are cheaply made, etc.. SO, you want pci or pcie a few I/O and MIDI? I wanted that too so I bought a RME Multiface 2, and love it. 8in 8out and a midi in and out with pci or pcie, your choice though pcie is a little more. I, like you want a surface controller as well. Problem is like before, they are either cheap or proprietary or are already an interface. SO, I plan on selling the RME that I love to get the Allen & Heath ZED R16. It's almost perfect. Interface, surface controller (non-motorized) digital and ANALOG, mic pres, and great conversion running on firewire. And if you don't like the converters you could use a different one like Apogee, RME or Lavry etc.. Though not exactly budget, but not rediculous as I think I can grab one for around $1500. I paid $1100 for my RME, but we all know they sell under $1000 on the used market. So I have to sacrifice the RME but hopefully it'll be worth it. I thought about keeping it for it's portability though to use with my laptop. It just doesn't make sense to have 2 full interfaces on one computer to me though.

This however is perfect: (For me anyway)
GS-R24 | ALLEN & HEATH // WORLD CLASS MIXING
About 10 times over "budget" though.

I have an E-mu 1616 (PCMCIA) plugged into a PCMCIA to PCI adapter...

Glad to hear that this has been good for you. I've been looking at the 1616m PCIe version, but am reading enough driver horror stories to scare me off. Flawless drivers are essential for doing heavy soft synth/VST work, IMHO more critical than DAC quality, bang for buck.

Have you checked out the Echo products? The Gina is less than $300, and you can probably even find a 2nd gen Layla on eBay for less than that.

Actually, Creative/E-mu has done a good job of keeping their drivers updated, as they have chosen not to revise their flagship 1616/1616M. While virtually every other company has gone through between 4 and 6 (and in some cases, more) iterations of a particular, E-mu has stood behind a top-notch hardware/software combination.
I have heard/read of some home-recordists having problems with particular setup combinations, I have never encountered a driver problem, myself.

Have you checked out the Echo products? The Gina is less than $300, and you can probably even find a 2nd gen Layla on eBay for less than that.

Here's an idea for a killer BUDGET system for less than $400 (if you have a little patience)

Echo Layla24 $150 (or less used obviously)
Behringer B2000 controller I picked up 1 for $50 off Craigslist... works well, you can hook up 2 for 16 continuous Ch. (was going to buy a Mackie but came across this after reading some threads and gave it shot... glad i did)
Behringer ADA8000 Preamps if you need em. Personally haven't used one... but have read many times they are decent.

I picked up a used Layla24 8 years ago for $300 and it's still going strong... Converters are on par w/ the older Multiface-1. I use this w/ Lucid 8 ch. converters via ADAT and get incredibly great results. Got good results b4 the Lucid too.

Another option for pramps but a little more $$$ is the M-Audio Octane... has ADAT out and sound very good. (happen to pick one up new for $300... couldnt pass that up and glad I got it)

Good Luck,
B.

...Also... ment to say that Alesis unit looks pretty cool! but for less than 1/2 the $$$ I thought I'd through that out there. The Alesis doesn't have ADAT Out? I wonder why?

& the A&H GS-24... Someday! When I have more production going on. That looks Sweet!

Back