Soudcard vs End Result.

Alan

The soundcard I have is an AWE 64Gold, now the question (might seem silly to you) is will this make a noticeable difference in the recorded sound quality on the end product… ie: CDR ?
99% of what I do is done in audio, guitar, drum and bass machine and vocals. Is the whole soundcard question more directed at Midi performance ?
Or am I being ignorant and wishful thinking…….again !!!!

Alan :)

[This message has been edited by Alan (edited 07-22-1999).]

Hi Alan,

Higher end soundcards are not just for midi, their selling point tends to be around S/N ratio, Quality of the A/D converters as well as the Bit depth ie. 16, 20, 24 Bit.

Whether or not your recording will sound just as good as if it were recorded on more expensive sound card depends mostly on your recording methods, microphones, mixer. If your not concerned about recording more than 2 tracks at a time, or playing back more than 2, than the S/N of the AWE as well as the Bit depth probably don't play that big of a role.

However, the advantage of having all of these multiple inputs and outputs as well as high quality A/D converters is, control.

You can create a far more interesting end mix - routing multiple outputs into a mixer and back into the multiple input sound card, recording drums with 6 mic's instead of 2, allowing more control etc.

I guess the bottom line is to work with whatever your using, use it to it's fullest extent and then move on when and if it becomes a limitation.

Emeric

Back