Sonar Platinum user with a very big question

Chickenlips

Hello all.

I have a very big question, so I wouldn't blame you for knowing the answer and not sharing it here. No hard feelings - we good. Basically, I'm a false beginner looking to create an album with traditional-sounding instruments.

Most DAWs are set up around a MIDI instrument like a keyboard. I, on the other hand, want to import my MIDI files for this project in mind. Not having a musical keyboard with my 'Sonar Platinum' makes some simple things rather tedious - testing out a particular patch or channel, for instance. So here is what I am asking for: Can someone please give me instructions for going from (a rather basic) MIDI file to a presentable release that sounds reasonably close to acoustic instruments? The instruments are drum kit, sax, trumpet, and keyboard.

It's been a long time since I dove into virtual instruments and all that stuff. I'd really appreciate if someone can give me the simple steps to get a nice-sounding approximation of traditional instruments. But if that's too big a question for you to type, no worries! Thanks for reading either way.

Back