Some Audio Interface Questions

eyeoflayman

I am in the process of researching which audio interface I should buy to have quality recording capabilities with my laptop (1.6gHz, 496 RAM). I have a few questions.

1) USB vs FireWire (vs Cardbus)- it seems to be common that people will recommend FireWire over USB, but if I will only be recording vocals on a microphone (MXL V67G Condenser Microphone) over beats made from the computer, will FireWire make much of a difference over USB. What about Cardbus? I don't know much about it at all. Is it something I should look into more? Why?

2) When I am looking at the specific features offered by each audio interface what should I make certain I have? Phantom power and Preamps, okay. Is there something specific I should be looking for in regards to the latency? What about the frequency response (20-40KHz), is that something important for me to bear in mind?

3) What about a mixer, what kind of advantage does that provide? The MAudio Firewire 410 Mobile Recording Interface includes a mixer, how much of an advantage would that be for me for the overall quality of the sound produced by my home studio?

4) My computer doesn't have a FireWire hook-up. About how much would that cost? Is it just a card that slides easily into my laptop or are there complicated aspects about it I should research before buying?

5) Which audio interface do you recommend that is not too much more than $200 (possibly, possibly up to $300)? Here are some that I have been attracted to thus far, should I look more closely at any of them or cross any of them off the list?:

FireWire- PreSonus Firebox 6x10 FireWire Recording Interface ($300), MAudio Firewire 410 Mobile Recording Interface ($300), MAudio Firewire Audiophile 2496 Audio Interface ($170), MAudio Firewire Solo Audio Interface ($200). I'm quite attracted to the PreSonus and the reviews it gets, is the extra $100 worth it if your a poor youth with a limited income?

USB- Tascam US122 Audio/MIDI Interface ($200), Behringer BCA2000 USB Audio/MIDI Interface ($220), Creative Labs Audigy Z ($220)

Cardbus- Echo Indigo DJ Dual Stereo 24/96 Laptop Cardbus ($180), Echo Indigo IO Stereo 24/96 Laptop Cardbus ($180)- i don't really know anything about Cardbus.

6) Any thing else you think is important for me to know?

Thanks for any information you can provide for me!

1) USB vs FireWire (vs Cardbus)- it seems to be common that people will recommend FireWire over USB, but if I will only be recording vocals on a microphone (MXL V67G Condenser Microphone) over beats made from the computer, will FireWire make much of a difference over USB. What about Cardbus? I don't know much about it at all. Is it something I should look into more? Why?

I doubt it.

If you are merely recording vocals and thats it, I would go with usb if you have that port already. That Tascam you mentioned sounds pretty good for your needs.

I have been using a 2 channel USB device successfully for several years. For 1 or 2 channels at a time usb is fine. Edirol is a company that usually gets high marks for their usb implementation. Might check them out as well.

I have also been researching same. Edirol have a few items. Such as the PCRA30 which is an audio interface/keyboard/midi controller (no more than 300) It does not have phantom power though.
There is also the Edirol UA25 which is about $150. No phantom power either though. Another one I came across was the Edirol UR80. USB Interface and controller with phantom power. It has gotten some good reviews.
Maybe you could use a dynamic mic to record vocals and this would cut out the need for Phantom power?

eyeoflayman said:
I am in the process of researching which audio interface I should buy to have quality recording capabilities with my laptop (1.6gHz, 496 RAM). I have a few questions.

Nope. Cardbus is based on PCI, which is being phased out in favor of PCI Express (PCIe). The portable version of PCIe is called ExpressCard. HP has already started shipping laptops with ExpressCard, and other companies are following suit. Like its desktop counterparts, ExpressCard slots aren't compatible with CardBus cards.

With PCI, someone can at least somewhat make the argument that you'll be able to get (at least non-Mac) motherboards with a PCI slot for a few years. With CardBus, you don't have the luxury of choosing the motherboard, and it isn't practical to build a laptop with both CardBus and an ExpressCard slots, as it would be huge.

By 3 years from now, you will probably not be able to buy a high-end laptop with CardBus from most manufacturers---and some significantly sooner than that.

Bottom line, if you plan to use your audio interface with your next laptop replacement, don't even consider CardBus. CardBus is dead.

Usb audio is the devil. Random glitches no matter how fast your system is or how good your chipset is. I don't use the USB feature of my Alesis Multimix 8USB .. I just plug it into my Soundblaster Audigy soundcard.

James

Back