Software synths plays double notes ...

gilwe

I set up my SB Live card along with a Solton keyboard as a controller, using the KXDrivers. Now, when using Pro-52 and FM7 as well, when I hit one key, the synth actually plays the note and the note one octave higher ... This doesn't happen always, only when using certain persets (90%...)

What's the source of the problem ?

thanks!

I can take a guess....

Is it possible that your keyboard is sending an alternate type of MIDI? There are different MIDI standards which are mostly compatibly but have some proprietary differences.

I'm not familiar with your keyboard, but try to find a "General MIDI' setting (mine Alesis QS has one) and see what happens.

Here is also a guess. It happens in hardware synths, but you can do also a bad routing on soft synths:

MIDI Loops

A MIDI loop is created when a MIDI message comes back to the same device for a second time. This commonly caused when the MIDI Thru port of one device in the MIDI chain is connected to the MIDI In port of the controller device. In this circumstance a message, such as a Note On, is sent to the controller keyboard sound engine directly and it is sent round the MIDI loop to appear at the controller keyboard MIDI In port. The result is that the sound will be played twice. On many sounds this will create a flanged, out of phase sound. If you are using a percussive or monophonic sound the double notes will sound obvious.

The solution is simple. Make sure that the controller keyboard is set to Local Off. This stops the sounds being sent directly to the controller keyboard sound engine.

That's a weird problem. Do you have the MIDI out going back to the controller? If so disconect it and see if that fixes it.

It seems strange that it plays it an octave higher because usually a midi loop just plays the exact same note twice and it sounds like it is chorused. The local setting on the keyboard shouldn't affect it either because that really only applies to the sounds being played on the keyboard itself.

Do you have some octave or harmonizing effect turned on for those patches?

Thanks for the replies ...

Well, few things -

I disconnected the midi in cable and it didn't help.

The keyboard supports General MIDI and seems to be configured ok.

Now check this one out ! When I press the "octave down" key,
there will be 3 noted played !! it plays the lower octave as well !

Solved !

I those softsynths, all MIDI IN channels were selected. When I deselected all channels except channel 1, it stopped playing multiple notes !

thanks

Back