Software recommendations?

Jazzman1949

I'm a lifelong musician (50 yrs.) who has been working with stand-alone digital decks for the past few years (TASCAM). Their quality and tech support have gone downhill, so I decided to make the change to recording software. My first experience didn't go so well.

I decided to purchase PreSonus Studio One Artist 4.0 (their interface which comes with software). On the surface, it would seem that PreSonus 4 is some pretty good software. Here's what happened next:

I downloaded the driver for the Audiobox and then the software. Everything seemed to be going normally. Then, I clicked on "Help" and went to access the Owner Manual to get started. Error message said the manual hadn't been downloaded. I went to the download window and clicked on the manual and tutorial videos. The damn thing wanted to automatically also click "Instruments" which I neither needed nor wanted. I un-clicked "Instruments" and went to download the manual and videos........wait for it......

Error messages says the two items WERE downloaded. OK, so why can't I access them?

I call PreSonus tech support and the guy assures me a tech will email me "within 15 minutes." OK....altho I was thinking,"Why should I get a f*g email when what I want is to TALK to a tech. No email arrived. Almost 24 hrs. later still no email. I call tech support again and get the same guy (distinctive voice) and he again assures me I'll get an email in 15 minutes. I told him,"That's what you said, yesterday!"

Pregnant pause.....

Then he says something about putting me in "the system" and the line goes dead. Not on hold. WTFF??

And in addition to all this, there actually is a "ticket window" where you can see your issue displayed, AND you can actually add information to it. Which I did. And still got no response.

I started checking forums and began seeing a LOT of negative posts regarding PreSonus' "tech support."

I'm returning the interface and trashing the software.

I'm presently looking at Cubase 9.5

Any comments or suggestions on any of this?

I've had poor luck with tech support from the big companies as well. But the good news is that there are great resources available at forums like this one.

I'm not a big user of Studio One, but I'm a big fan of that software. If for some reason I would ditch my favorite DAW, Studio One would be my second choice. It's definitely worth sticking with it and working through the initial growing pains of learning a new piece of software.

You can download the Quick Start Guide directly here, while you figure out how to access the full manual: Studio One | Downloads | PreSonus

Back