software for drums?

Do you mean a Virtual instrument?

If so, check out FXPansion BFD or Steinbergs Groove Agent 2. Both very, very good. IMHO the BFD is superior due to being able to change mic bleed settings.

The other option is getting a sampler and checking out some sampled kits CD's.

If you're looking for strictly Rock/Metal type drums, I'd also suggest Drumkit From Hell 2 or Drumkit From Hell Superior. Both have a plug-in component and the samples are of high-quality. Just be prepared to install 1.5 to 2.0 GB of RAM due to the size of their samples.

i use the sampler in reason and the reason drum kits refill for my drums. they sound awsome and i'm getting pretty comfortable with the reason environment.

I have bfd. I don't like it. after going back and looking at the demos again, I know I should'nt have got it. after watching the Drumkit From Hell Superior demos, i wish i would have gotten it instead. it sounds so much better to my ears. right now, I'm using Reason with the freely available Natural Studio drum samples and it's not bad at all. If I could only figure out how to use multiple samples for each kit piece in Reason, I think I would be ok.

what DAW/sequencer software are you using now? do you use something that supports MIDI and vst-i plug ins? if so, there may be a free alternative for you. First, there is a vst-i at kvr-audio website that basically lets you import several samples and play them via midi (its basically a sampler, but more geared towards drums). you could get this and then load in the natural drum kit that can be found for free on the net.

Wow... I think I found the drums I want to use when I start recording. Heh. These sound fucking awesome. I also happen to be a Meshuggah fan, so that helps. :)

So... I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to midi and sequencing and what not. The Drumkit From Hell Superior stuff, does it come with the program to record all your patterns? Or do you use another program to sequence it all?

That's the part that kind of confuses me.

Back