Thread: Software to add effects/instruments

Thanks

Question Software to add effects/instruments

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey, I'm pretty sure this is the right forum to ask this question, so here it is:

I have an acoustic guitar, an 8track(dp008), and my voice. With this equipment I can record alright quality "demos" or bare bone versions of song ideas, but I want to add some more effects/instruments in order to flesh them out a bit. Simple stuff such as bass tracks, and maybe a few synthy string/keyboard tracks. Keep in mind I don't have a MIDI controller or the money to buy one at this point. I should also mention I'm pretty new to this. Is there any particular software you'd recommend for this?

Thanks
    Oops, sorry, not the right forum, but appreciate the try. I moved it to the correct forum.

What you're looking for are called VSTi's or virtual instruments (and also regular VST's for audio processing and effects). Typically, a VSTi will run within your DAW program like Cubase or Sonar, but there are some that can run standalone or both. EMU's ProteusVX is a good example.

From within your DAW, you would write the midi data to run the VSTi and this will give you the additional instruments that you need. Mind you, this is tedious work and you can accomplish so much more if you had a midi controller to play and record the midi data instead of writing it out by hand. A simple controller doesn't have to be expensive and you can probably find a used one for $50 on Craig's List.

There are also sample libraries and such, but I'm not too familiar with them and they can get expensive.

The ProteusVX I mentioned is a free download available at www.EMU.com website. It has quite an extensive library and will give you most everything you're looking for.

Good luck,

Thanks
    Sweet Chili, thanks a lot. I'm gonna check that out. Sorry for wrong forum, btw

Thanks
    If this is wrong, someone will correct me, but I'm of the opinion that if you want to use virtual instruments, you're going to need a MIDI controller keyboard. They're not at all expensive. I bought mine for 72 [$108].
    In my opinion, there's one major reason why a keyboard is the way to go where VSTis are concerned; you get to play any instrument yourself. You can put in all the articulations however you choose. If it's just for demos then I'd recommend Sampletank as it's got a good broad sweep of instrument sounds. There are quite alot of free ones around. Put out a private message to KCearl and ask him about them or do a search through some of his recent posts because he's got a pretty good handle on that side of things.
    I use VSTis (recording into both analog and digital standalones) in conjunction with actual instruments and when teaked properly, I can barely tell the difference.

Thread Information