Shrink 42" monitor down

Is there an app that allows a daw to show up full but allows you to have a 42" flat screen monitor to have an18 or 19" size?...I've tried the settings in windows10 but it shrinks the screen and cuts off part of the daw...

I know in the past with some older external projectors and TVs...if you lower the resolution on the computer, it would shrink the size on the external display, leaving a black border, but that's because those devices couldn't display higher rez output from the computer.
Of course, even if you did that, the picture might be smaller, but also uglier.

Why exactly do you want to shrink the display image? Most people use a TV to increase the size, since their computer screen is often too small.
If you're trying to improve the resolution on the TV by shrinking the display...mmm...I don't think it will work like that.

I was trying to save electricity and if I succeeded in shrinking it, when I got a headache from straining to see the daw I would then have it go back to full screen...

Last edited:
Robert,
I get it that you want to reduce your carbon footprint. But, I don't think you would realize much, if any, cost savings, by the minuscule amount of electricity saved, not firing all of the LEDs to paint the full screen. I am not sure it's worth the eye strain and headaches. This is purely based on opinion of my understanding of LED technology, since I've never researched the amp-draw of TVs, at various resolutions.
Dale

Last edited:
you wouldn't be saving any electricity. The monitor will use the same amount regardless of how big the image is.

If the aim is "green" buy the latest, most efficient 20" screen you can find and switch the 42" off! HDMI splitter/switches are cheap, I have two.

Dave.

Is there an app that allows a daw to show up full but allows you to have a 42" flat screen monitor to have an18 or 19" size?...I've tried the settings in windows10 but it shrinks the screen and cuts off part of the daw...

Not what you're looking for perhaps but use tight vnc or some-such to view on another device eg tablet or laptop - you can size it as you wish there.

Bit of a long shot but, if you can get the telly mfctr to give you the service codes and possibly a .pdf of a remote "overlay" you should be able to change the picture size and aspect ratio to your heart's desire.

Dave.

Back