setup Tascam US144MKII - Soundcraft Spirit M12

emiliano

Dear all

I’ve been recording sinces ages with my Tascam US 144 MKII. But because I was tired of the two inputs (and always reconnecting other instruments), I bought a mixer: Soundcraft Spirit M12. Now I’m looking to have ideal setup in combination with the Tascam.

What do you think about this?

Nord Modular / Micro Nord Modular / Novation Ultranova / … --> SM12-LINE-input

Pure data / max/msp / Ableton / Reaper… --> (USB) --> Tascam-line out --> (RCA—2xJACK) --> SM12-Stereo input

SM12-aux --> POD X3 pro --> SM12-stereo input

SM12-digital out –> (SPDIF) —> Tascam-digital in –> (USB) —>macbook (reaper/Ableton)

SM12-Monitor L/R --> monitors

I have the impression I have asked a very dumb or very inimportant question :-)

If anyone would have some recommendations, pleas go!

Hey,
I'm not sure if I'm following your plan. Is it a recording solution or a monitoring solution?
It seems like you could simplify the setup by just connecting the monitors to the audio interface.

Is the main issue that you regularly have to switch cables for the nord/novation line inputs?
If so you can use the mixer has a patchbay before the interface, or replace it with a patchbay.
If you ever need to record these devices simultaneously, the solution is an audio interface with multiple line inputs.

I'm not seeing an advantage of sending software (reaper/max etc) out as analog into the mixer. If I missed the point, please tell us more. :)

Thank you!

The purpose is for recording and live playing. Pure Data and Max generate music, and are part of the sound (next to synths, prepared vinyl, field recordings, …), so, I want to control them in the overall sound (volume, eq, …).

For recording, it is the same, I would like to have this live setup to record, and take a direct out, and record track per track.

Does this make sense? Do you understand where I’m going to? ��

(I make music that links to Philip Jeck, Fennesz, Rashad Becker, Abul Mogard, …)

Hey,
I'm not sure if I'm following your plan. Is it a recording solution or a monitoring solution?
It seems like you could simplify the setup by just connecting the monitors to the audio interface.

Is the main issue that you regularly have to switch cables for the nord/novation line inputs?
If so you can use the mixer has a patchbay before the interface, or replace it with a patchbay.
If you ever need to record these devices simultaneously, the solution is an audio interface with multiple line inputs.

I'm not seeing an advantage of sending software (reaper/max etc) out as analog into the mixer. If I missed the point, please tell us more. :)

SO! Glad I was not the only one that was discommbulated! If you want to record more inputs you need an AI WITH more inputs*. If you just want to cut down on the wear on the plugs and sockets then yes, as Mr S says, the mixer will do that.

*Since you already have the mixer you could just look for an AI with 2 mic_2 line inputs such as my Native Instruments KA6. The mixer has the added advantage that the mic pres are likely better than most sub $300 4 mic I/P AIs and you have the benefit of easier gain control and EQ/HPF/PAN. There might also be a way for instance to add "flatter" reverb to a singer but record dry?

One thing to be aware of? Mixers usually chuck out "pro" levels ~+4dBu++ and AIs often cannot cope with that. Bone up on "Gain Staging".

Dave.

so, extra to my previous post:

inputs are: synths, prepared vinyl, sounds from PD and Max, field recordings (from reaper), ...

live manupulated by effects through AUX (POD X3, effect pedals, ...), EQ and volume on mixer

output: for recording or for live purposes

so, extra to my previous post:

inputs are: synths, prepared vinyl, sounds from PD and Max, field recordings (from reaper), ...

live manupulated by effects through AUX (POD X3, effect pedals, ...), EQ and volume on mixer

output: for recording or for live purposes

And you just want to record those to separate tracks, one at a time or a stereo mix? Again, more than 2 tracks at a time needs another interface.

Dave.

Not more then two at a time.

In that understanding, are the connections as described above ok? or should rethink something?

That being the case, I don't see a need to route your computer out to the mixer then through to the monitor.
Unless there's a a need I've missed, I'd just hook the monitors up to the interface and use the mixer as a patchbay for your input devices.

That being the case, I don't see a need to route your computer out to the mixer then through to the monitor.
Unless there's a a need I've missed, I'd just hook the monitors up to the interface and use the mixer as a patchbay for your input devices.

Indeed^ Remember, when it comes to "small signal" devices, mixer ins and outs, AIs and other mic or line level gear, you can connect it up any way you think fit. You will not damage anything but keep H/P and monitor feeds at zero at switch on. The system might feed back or (rarely) hum like crazy but there will be no smoke. The mixer manual shows several connection scenarios.

The main consideration is to keep phantom power out of anything not designed to have it. +48V has very, very little power capability and, although people HEAR of horror stories they are virtually unknown in practice.
The serious volts and current from power amplifiers, guitar, bass, PA should only go to intended devices and of course! NEVER eff about with mains power! Other than that most things these days are pretty bombproof.

Main thing: Have Fun! (and learn)

Dave.

Back