Setting up my PreSonus gear

Dat Bean Sprout

Hey guys! So I got the PreSonus recording software, a PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 interface, a Shure PGA48 microphone, and good headphones. Does anyone know how I would set all this up to start recording? I need some help with this. I'm pretty new to this stuff, so simple terms would be great.

Last edited:
Since this is not the newb section I can say with some impunity..RTFM! But, seriously do, we none of us was BORN with technical knowledge.

The Book will surely give you detailed instructions on how to install the Audio Box but generally DON'T plug it in! First job, download the latest drivers for the AB from Presonus taking care to get those applicable to YOUR OS and 32 or 64 bits (hope you ain't still 32!) Save the drivers to desktop for now. Almost certainly, run the driver dld and follow the instruction TO THE LETTTER! At some point as a rule you will be prompted to plug in the A box and then 'other stuff' will occur.

If all that goes tickerty, next step put your headphones on and play a radio station or YT file. No sound? You now need to delve into Windows Sound menus to setup the box as "Default Record and Play Device". You need to get to this point before you can proceed further. Assuming you have, install the Presonus recording software. Is that Studio One? Can't help with that a lot. I have the freebie but have not had a chance to play. If another bod does not come to our aid soon I will have a look.

Dave.

Since this is not the newb section I can say with some impunity..RTFM! But, seriously do, we none of us was BORN with technical knowledge.

The Book will surely give you detailed instructions on how to install the Audio Box but generally DON'T plug it in! First job, download the latest drivers for the AB from Presonus taking care to get those applicable to YOUR OS and 32 or 64 bits (hope you ain't still 32!) Save the drivers to desktop for now. Almost certainly, run the driver dld and follow the instruction TO THE LETTTER! At some point as a rule you will be prompted to plug in the A box and then 'other stuff' will occur.

If all that goes tickerty, next step put your headphones on and play a radio station or YT file. No sound? You now need to delve into Windows Sound menus to setup the box as "Default Record and Play Device". You need to get to this point before you can proceed further. Assuming you have, install the Presonus recording software. Is that Studio One? Can't help with that a lot. I have the freebie but have not had a chance to play. If another bod does not come to our aid soon I will have a look.

Dave.

Hey there, Dave. I probably should've mentioned that I have already installed the drivers for all the software and gear.
The problem I'm having is when I try to record a track, there's no audio playback. I figured I must be doing something wrong so I wanted to start from square 1 and see what you guys had to say. I'll do the things you mentioned here. Thanks for helping out! Really appreciate it.

Hey there, Dave. I probably should've mentioned that I have already installed the drivers for all the software and gear.
The problem I'm having is when I try to record a track, there's no audio playback. I figured I must be doing something wrong so I wanted to start from square 1 and see what you guys had to say. I'll do the things you mentioned here. Thanks for helping out! Really appreciate it.

Ok, glad you took it in good part! Forget ALL about recording for now. The Audio Box should be your only source of sound for everything, if it isn't, as I say, see what Windoze is up to. You might like to download Audacity pro tem as it is very simple to setup.

(give my regards to Marge)

Dave.

Hi,
Do you see activity in your DAW, either as input meters lighting up, or as a recorded waveform?

If not, double check the input path by plugging in your mic, turning up the gain, and tapping the mic. The red 'clip' LED should illuminate on the front of the audiobox.
If you see the LED light up but there's no recording happening in the DAW, make sure you're recording to an audio track and make sure its input is set to the first available, most likely MIC1.
If anything seems wrong here, double check that the audio box is the chosen device for in+out in your DAW settings.

Whether you hear yourself, or not, whilst recording is down to a few different things, so let's just make sure you're getting a recording first, then worry about hearing it (live+repro) afterwards?

Back