Setting up a MIDI capable keyboard

Koroshiya1

Hey everyone.

I'm brand new to this forum and fairly new to the home recording scene.

I am interested in hooking up my Roland EM-10 keyboard (which has "general MIDI" capabilities) to my computer so I can control some of the soft synth programs I have, such as NI Absynth. I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (is this a good card for recording?) with a midi input and an output. I also have a midi joystick port (what is this for?). Obviously, I have a midi cable aswell.

Hope this is enough info for your knowledgable brains to kindly answer my question!

Thanks in advance!

you can certainly hook up your keyboard via midi. if the card has midi in-out use it. if it only has the joystick port you need the cable that feeds ins and outs of the keyboard to a single serial interface.
The Audigy will do quite well with midi but not so great with audio.

Hi,

I'm not much of a "knowledgable brain," but it sounds like you have what you need to get started. After you plug in the midi cables, you'll need to find Roland's appropriate driver so the computer can "read" the input source. Then the midi out can be whatever you want it to be. Audigy has the advantage of being able to play soundfont (sf2) samples, but if you really want great sound using sampled voices, (such as the kind NI offers) you'll probably want a "pro" audio card, which are getting amazingly cheap these days. Check out M-Audio and Echo products.

The joystick can be used in a variety of ways, depending on how you program it. It can be a pitch-bend, or a mod wheel, and control the attack velocity, or volume of the notes you're playing.

Good luck,

Quasar

Back